Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,432   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Egg shell pinhole camera.

This is not my work, but I saw it on the Make site (via Lomo) and thought I would pass it along to the rest of us...Pretty cool.

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/l...pinhole-camera

I'm not an expert on the methods, but for those of you that are - how cool would it be to reverse process or POP these little guys and end up with photographic Faberge eggs?

My list of skills to aquire keeps getting longer. :-)
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is so cool, I wish I had thought of it myself!

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder how large of a negative you would have to photograph with it to get a positive photo in the egg?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't do pinhole, but that is great!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a great idea. I'm having a hard time thinking of a reasonable direct-positive process that would work, though; the easiest thing might be to "solarise" (Sabat(t)ier effect) the egg during development, which sometimes produces a fairly normal-looking positive image (and sometimes extremely weird stuff instead). I like the fact that the curvature of the eggshell compensates for the curved field.

But why, O why, couldn't the author have photographed a chicken??

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad ostrich eggs are so expensive.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    Too bad ostrich eggs are so expensive.
    Oh, I like this! The thicker shell would make the egg camera a bit more resistant to the perils of construction too!

Perhaps emu eggs are cheaper? I don't know, I've never bought either

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've accumulated burned out incandescent light bulbs for years, thinking of doing something like this. The glass might be less fragile, would permit easier viewing of the image, and would waste less food.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether you're cutting egg shells or glass, submerge the object under water while you cut.

The water will dampen any vibration induced by the cutting tool and prevent shattering.

You will, of course, have to either use hand tools or use a Dremel tool with an extension cable so you don't risk electric shock but, if you can figure out a way to do this, it will work. I have done it. Done carefully, you can even cut a pane of thin glass with a large pair of scissors.

Just make sure that everything, the glass and the tool, are completely submerged in water.

The question I have about using a light bulb is that it's transparent/translucent. You'll have to put the bulb inside a light tight container.

You could cut the appropriate aperture in the side of the light bulb then slide it into a cardboard tube with the correct pinhole. I think that will work. Otherwise, you could paint the outside of the light bulb with a heavy coat of black paint. But then, you would have to worry about getting the paint off the bulb.

...Unless you like the idea of turning the light bulb into a "dark bulb."
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know it isn't quite in the spirit of the article, but what about projecting a negative image into the egg on an enlarger? That'd give you the
    in-egg positive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin