Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,010   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    If its a 35mm viewer then use 35mm.
    Okay so I think we are all a little confused here (maybe it's still just me lol) the viewfinder that I have is for a 35mm rangefinder that doesn't have frame lines for differnet focal length lenses. The viewfinder can be set to 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, 135mm, and has spaces in between for intermediate focal distances.

So what I am trying to figure out is what setting on the viewfinder is closest to what this pinhole will be according to the dimensions from my original post (taking into consideration I will be using 120 (6x9) instead of 35mm film.

Maybe I'm overthinking this a little but I just want to have a general idea of what I will be taking a picture of and I figured the viewfinder would help tremendously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best setting, as been said is to set your 35mm viewer to 35mm, that will be closest to your field of view for your 6x9 pinhole with a 3 5/16 focal length. A 35mm lens on a 35mm camera has a field of view of approx 65deg, so does your pinhole camera as you have described it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of this.....I've got one that I've not yet finished. (Just needs the inside painted.) Is there an issue with the film being 2.25 inches away from the film for a 6x6 frame?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    Speaking of this.....I've got one that I've not yet finished. (Just needs the inside painted.) Is there an issue with the film being 2.25 inches away from the film for a 6x6 frame?
    Assuming you mean pinhole 2.25 inches from the film, no. That spacing affects the field of view and can be varied over a huge range. 2.25 should give a moderate wide angle. The only issue is that the pinhole size needs to be different for optimum results if you make large changes in that spacing.

My Bronica SQ-A (a 6x6) with the "SQ-Hole" body cap adapter has a pinhole to film plane distance of about 90 mm and produces a field of view fairly similar to the 80 mm lens. A wider angle of view would be cool, but working with an SLR, mirror clearance limits the closest allowable spacing.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 05-04-2011 at 08:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general, there is Pinhole Designer, a Windoze-based program available as freeware, as well as an online calculator at Mr Pinhole that can be used to crunch a lot of these numbers (for those who don't like algebra problems ).

There is also a bunch of info available through the links at the WPPD Resources Page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok thanks guys I really appreciate the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Assuming you mean pinhole 2.25 inches from the film, no. That spacing affects the field of view and can be varied over a huge range. 2.25 should give a moderate wide angle. The only issue is that the pinhole size needs to be different for optimum results if you make large changes in that spacing.

My Bronica SQ-A (a 6x6) with the "SQ-Hole" body cap adapter has a pinhole to film plane distance of about 90 mm and produces a field of view fairly similar to the 80 mm lens. A wider angle of view would be cool, but working with an SLR, mirror clearance limits the closest allowable spacing.
    Exactly! The PINHOLE is 2.25 inches away. I like a nice wide angle - and moderate is just peachy. Well....I'll have time to paint it and then get to work! Or fun, rather. Photography isn't work for me.

Thanks!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pryan9 View Post
    Okay, So the variable viewfinder is for 35mm actually. So at 6x9 with the dimensions mentioned above, what would be the best frame line to set the viewfinder at to get me in the ballpark for this pinhole camera? I have 35, 50, 90, and 135, I can also set it in between each of these
    Use the frame lines for a 35mm lens and you have a practically perfect match for your camera. Same angle of view and different format = different focal length. So you need to select which lines to use based on angle of view, not focal length.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Update:

So I ran a roll of film through my camera and the angle of view was perfect. The only problem is that the image is about the size of a quarter on a medium format frame. The image is circular right in the center of the frame.

I converted an old brownie box camera to make my pinhole cam. Could the focal distance have caused this issue?

Also, I developed the negs using caffenol for the first time but I highly doubt that had any part in the circular images.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are two causes for an image circle that's too small for your film format. The first one is something blocking the light... that usually gives a very clean circle (with sharp edges) it's quite possible that the shutter opening in a brownie is too small. You have to trace an imaginary line from the corner of the film, through the pinhole and out again... is there any piece of the camera in the way? then you need to remove that or find another camera. I don't know about the brownie, but many box cameras have very tight shutters that can give these problems when converting them to pinhole.
    The other possibility is wrong material for the hole. If the material is too thick, you get more light fall-off at the corners. If your image seems relatively normal but gradually becomes dimmer at the edges, that's probably your problem. To avoid this, I use regular aluminium foil from the kitchen for my pinholes. It's not very robust, but thin enough for even the widest angles of view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin