Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,077   Online: 1168

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first choice would be a Crown/Speed graphic 2x3. You can have multiple sized pinholes for different focal lengths, different backs for 6x6 and 6x9 roll film, separate viewfinder, find a bad lens off a MF or LF camera and mount it on the lensboard for your "bulb' setting and you can still use sheet film holders for whatever film or paper you wish to use. Usually under fifty bucks on EBay if you are patient.

My second choice is my crappy Ilford 'Sportsman' 6x6 with a single speed plus bulb shutter and the lens removed. It takes great pinhole shots.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    My second choice is my crappy Ilford 'Sportsman' 6x6 with a single speed plus bulb shutter and the lens removed. It takes great pinhole shots.

tim in san jose
    errata: I took tha puppy out today and no it's not the Ilford, I probably through that POC away. It's a baldixnetta or some other german made poorly lens outrfitted camera. Wandered around with some 100 spped B&W film and I'll process it tonight. I was amazed at the fuji chromes I took last spring with this setup.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter

tim in san jose
    errata: I took that puppy out today and no it's not the Ilford, I probably through that POC away. It's a baldixnetta or some other german made poorly lens outfitted camera. Wandered around with some 100 spped B&W film and I'll process it tonight. I was amazed at the fuji chromes I took last spring with this setup.

tim in san jose

ldh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Most of my personal work these days is with pinhole...and I shoot mainly with my 501cm and a variety of size pinhole and zoneplate body caps. The hassey is nice because I can use a couple of different film backs for different film types...I compose with a large viewing pinhole cap on (bright enough to see an image cleary...especially with a prism finder) and then I just pop on the pinhole cap with zone plate its bright enough to compose easy enough.

I also shoot with a modified linhof technika III field camera with an apogee pinhole/zoneplate shutter assembly and a variety of interchangable pinhole and zoneplate aperatures plus a viewing aperature...a real zoom pinhole...the linhof has a cambo rotatable reflex back and also accepts my 545i polarid back...I will likely be selling the linhof setup after I finish a current project with it... as I shoot mainly with the hassey setup, much lighter...

I suggest a cheap used hassey 500c...and the body caps from pinhole resource...and if you strike it rich one day, you can even buy an Imacon 528c digiback for it and shoot 22megapixel digital pinhole...(whoops)...and theres something inherently wicked about using a hassey system but no zeiss glass.

The Mamiya TLR is also an excellent choice, especially if you want the option to work with something other than an optimal pinhole....plus you should be able to compose with the viewing lens.
    s ledem prosim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ive got to second the Holga.

For $15 USD, and maybe a couple hours to turn it into a "b" Holga, it can't be beat. Add another umpteen bucks for the Polaroid back and you have the hippest camera this side of the dreadfully overpriced Lomo LC-A.

ldh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Lots of great ideas here...gotta love lensless photographers...the crown graphic idea is a good one too....pretty much the same as my linhoff setup...I really like the apogee interchangeable plates...any lightwieght field camera will do as long as it has a flexible international back that accepts polaroid backs. rollfilm backs etc....another good bet would be a Busch Pressman...you can find these dirt cheap and they are great.
    s ledem prosim

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Moskva may be modified - the lens/Shutter assembly is held in place with a screw-on ring on the inside of the bellows. But usually people try to get a slight wide-angle effect with pinhole cameras, and here the bellows will interfere.

And IMHO it would be a shame to salvaga a SuperIkonta-cousin for something like this - the Moskvas are up to good results with their Tessar-derived Industar lenses.

If you were in Europe, I´d recommend a Agfa Clack (sold as "Weekender" in the US by Ansco, but probably quite rare over there!). The Clack is cheap in Germany - 1 to 5Euro on Ebay and flea markets.

It is simple to modify her, just pry off the cover, remove a single screw and the lens comes off and you still could use the shutter to time the exposure.

See http://www.kosara.net/photo/lochlomo.html for details.

I made a insert mask to allow usage of 35mm film with the curved back - quite cute effect. :-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

[QUOTE=ldh]Lots of great ideas here...gotta love lensless photographers...QUOTE]

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great ideas. I now have 2 pinhole cameras. I found an old Agfa box camera on eBay that had already been converted to pinhole. The 620 film is kind of a hassle though, as I don't have ready access to a darkroom to roll it onto 120 spools. It has a certain "low tech" appeal though!

I also ended up getting a Mamiya Press Universal with 6x9 back (and extra lens cap) on eBay, since the lens is easily removed, it takes 120 film, has a rangefinder (viewfinder?) and polaroid backs seem to come up on eBay fairly regularly. It also gives me the option to experiment with medium format -- with the lens on. However, the thing is HEAVY and bulky to one used to newer 35mm cameras. Haven't had a chance to experiment much with it yet, but my pinhole roll shows promise.

What is the difference between a rangefinder and a viewfinder anyway?

Keep those ideas coming, I enjoy hearing all those creative solutions!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi dqamm,

I use an old Agfa Isolette folder. It is only 6x6, but I think it makes an ideal pinhole camera. One reason is that the lenses tend to seize up, rendering the camera next to valueless for its intended purpose. You can easily remove the lens, though, and tape a pinhole on. The camera is of inexpensive construction so it is quite light, and it folds to fit in a shirt pocket. It has a tripod mount and a flash sync. The only thing is, no "t" setting, so you have to use "b" and a locking shutter release -- but that isn't so hard.

Best,
    Erik Ryberg

Shooter
    35mm
    Zeroimage cameras sells handmade pinhole camera utilizing roll film (6x6 format or 645 format) as well as 35 mm and 4x5. I have one of their 6x6 cameras which I love. Well engineered and easy to use. Check out their very informative and user-friendly website.
    Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin