Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 799

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best Medium Format Cameras to Modify

I've been trying to figure out which medium format camera to buy used to modify for pinhole photography. Not knowing much about these cameras, I thought I'd ask for some advice.

Here's my wish list: 120 roll film, possibly 6x9 or multiple size options. An interchangeable lens would be nice, which could easily be removed and replaced with a pinhole body cap. A viewfinder that's separate from the lens - twin lens or other system; some of the folding cameras have a metal viewfinder mounted on top. A "bulb" setting or other means of holding the shutter open longer. Also nice might be an interchangeable film back that accepts Polaroid (like the Mamiya 67RB), but it looks like that option starts adding $$.

Cheap would be good of course! I ran across an interesting old medium format, folding Russian camera, the Moskva 2, on eBay for about $30. It has a separate viewfinder, but I can't tell if the lens is removeable.

Any recommendations or experiences you've had appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not run into any folders with removeable lenses that would be useful for pinhole work. I suppose the lens could be removed from just about any folder, but the ones I've run into weren't meant to be used that way.

I personally use my old Bronica S2a body for pinhole work. It's a 6x6 SLR, but it has a focal plane shutter and is fully mechanical.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    holga 120s w/a polaroid back

http://www.holgamods.com/
    http://www.argonauta.com/html/holga_modifications.htm

good ,sort a cheap, fun
    tomtom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dgamm:
    Look at Graflex XL's, Interchangable lenses, at least three different roll film backs(6x6/6x7/6x9) Polaroid back. Range finder, CHEAP!
    If you get tired of the pinhole the lenses are top quality too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Dgamm:
    Look at Graflex XL's, Interchangable lenses, at least three different roll film backs(6x6/6x7/6x9) Polaroid back. Range finder, CHEAP!
    If you get tired of the pinhole the lenses are top quality too.

Find one of these 6 x 9 120 film beauties (and then modify it)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hither
    Find one of these 6 x 9 120 film beauties (and then modify it)
    I did that (The MODAPIN). Quite nice.

I found this, too.:

"I also remember reading in the new issue of Practical
    Photography that someone made a "Pinblad." It was a
    custom body with a pinhole that accepted a regular A12
    back. Pretty cool. ;-)"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i would second shaggy's advice. graflex xl's are pretty cool, cheep, and plentiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An early Mamiya C series TLR body would do. Only 6x6 without Polaroid (there are some drastic modifications along that line, though), but you do have a sports finder which can take masks. The bellows would give you a pinhole to film range of about 80mm to 135mm (a 'zoom' pinhole!). The film change baffle inside the camera will allow safe film advance. The pinhole mount is a simple plate to fit over the lens opening.

The shutter needn't be anything more elaborate than a piece of black tape. At around f256 or so the exposure is not going to be less than 1 second.

Any Press camera or a 5x4 with roll-film back will work, too. It does pay to have the larger format since the unsharp images suffer if over-enlarged.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Why not build one from scratch?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 57mmopenback.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another option would be to rip the electronic shutter off an old folding polaroid & replace it w/pinhole. Cheap as chips(~$5) as the British like to say. Just make sure it uses the 600 pack films.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin