Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,500   Online: 777

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole

HELP ME WITH MY PINHOLE CAMERA

I have a school project of building a 35mm pinhole camera out of legos but every time I go to develop it there are no image's I need help fast. every time I go to develop it they say its too exposed I need a experts help. My hole is about .5 inch away from the film and I even re-wound the film in a room so dark that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face! and my hole is so small its about the size of the tip of a medium sized nail.

plz help me
    Last edited by fiffer678; 06-09-2011 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    well, how small is the pinhole?
    and are you using film or paper?
    last pinhole I used was a paintcan pinhole with ilford paper. took about two minutes to make a somewhat underexposed picture.
    try halving the time you expose the film or paper or whatever by and see what that does. if its overexposed, half the half. if it is underexposed, expose halfway between the time you were previously using and the half of that time.
    just kinda try to dial in your times and you will get it.
    good luck

Shooter
    Pinhole
    hey I'm using film 35mm and the pinhole is about the sized of a small nail tip

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Sounds like you may have multiple issues.

A-- the hole may be too big.
    B-- your exposure time may be too long
    C-- the method of exposure you dont say--- are you using tape or a cap to expose?
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Pinhole
    "they say its too exposed"? sounds like the lego camera is not light-tight.
    Ric Johnson
    Proud member of the League of Upper Midwest Pinholers & f295

"I think, therefore, I photograph."

Shooter
    Pinhole
    umm well the whole inside is lined with electrical tape and my method of exposure is well a door that i pull up that un-blockes the whole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is the hole is to big, and your exposures are therefore to long. Either increase the distance the hole is from the film or make the hole smaller, something like 0.2mm for your 12mm film to hole distance. You need to measure your hole for us to help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pretty much guarantee your hole is too big. Get one of mom's sewing needles and just dimple through some foil, small as you can get.

Of course, this will be of no help whatsoever if there is a light leak. Or the room where you load the film has a light leak. Or if the film itself has been exposed.

I would first make sure there is no light leak. Process a frame unexposed, see what you get. Second, make a tiny hole in foil (or better, metal from pop can) and try again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the hole is probably way to big! You can either get a thick piece of aluminum foil and poke the tiniest point in the center with a small needle or safety pin, or get a soda can and cut out a square section, and tap a needle into it and sand it down with sand paper.

vary your exposure time (bracket) on the same shots. and make sure you move the film along far enough to not get multiple exposures or overlapping edges.

good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiffer678 View Post
    hey I'm using film 35mm and the pinhole is about the sized of a small nail tip
    Hi,

Try a sewing needle instead of a small nail, and I think you will have better exposures (and less fuzzy pix to boot).

This being said, if you make your exposures shorter, it might work too. You will probably have relatively fuzzy pix though, due to the size of the hole.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin