Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,483   Online: 744

Shooter
    35mm

iphone lightmeter for pinhole

hi all

i entered this analog photography world from LOMO toy cams

now i am doing some more experimental things and considering to get a light meter to go with my DIY pinhole...
    saw on the internet that there's lot of iphone light meters

this one looks good http://www.kitdastudio.com/?p=183
    and it said it got a timer for the pinhole photogtraphers... sounds "designed"...

but... anyone knows how these things work like? accurate like the analog ones ?

I got a few free ones http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/light...410228606?mt=8
    they works pretty well when compared with reading from digital cam pictures...

any suggestions would be appreciated

best
    medium120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find my android one is a good match for my digital camera. Unfortunately it only does ev2-ev12 (meaning can only be trusted for ev3-ev11) due to hardware limitations, which sucks when dealing with ev11-16. Not sure what the range on the iPhone light sensor is though.

I'm personally looking around or a small analogue meter to replace it with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is common to use a small dial calculator to translate the smallest commercial light meter reading (typically f/32 to f/90, depending on the hardware) into the f/256 to f/512 range common with pinhole. The trickly part is to also incorporate the effect of reciprocity failure into the exposure. I have seen home mnade dial calculators that have two sides; one for the smaller aperture translation, and the second to do reciprocity work arounds.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not enough ranges in the aperture. Pocket Lightmeter app is proberly better option for "app" meters. EV calculator is worth having a play with too. Not a lightmeter as such more a EV dial with good aperture selection

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have found metering to be counterproductive with pinhole. Perhaps if the exposures are going to be in the range of seconds instead of minutes, it might be helpful. I think learning the characteristics of a particular film and developer is more useful in pinhole.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin