Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,653   Online: 914

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Pinhole and Hasselblad body

I bought a Body dop and first made a hole of about .45mm. Images look blurry.
    Next I made one with a .3mm hole and they look much better...

I made the hole first with a needle after that finished the hole with a .3mm drill and after that polished it with sandpaper to remove any edges. There are lasercut pinhole for sale on ebay, but would they increase quality that much?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I second Steve's suggestion of http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholedesigner/]. A user constant of about 1.4 or 1.5 provides maximim central sharpness. http://www.f295.org/ is another source with much information on pinhole photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After determining the proper needle size, I hold the needle and spin the shim stock around it, then finish with sandpaper. Look at it under a strong loupe and back lit to verify no burs and roundness. With the correct size, it will be very sharp. I have never tried it, but have heard of people using arcing electricity to burn a pinhole in to the shim stock. Not sure how you would control the size, but it sounded interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the dimple and sand method wherein you don't necessarily pierce the shimstock with the needle, but raise a "pimple" and sand it using fine (400 or 600 grit), wet-or-dry sand paper. I sand wet with a gentle circular motion. I think my most recent pinhole, made for WPPD last April, was my best yet. It may have been helped by using 1 mil brass shimstock instead of my usual 2 mil. The thinner stuff is a bit harder to keep flat and not damage it, but since the ideal pinhole has a knife edge, the thin stock gets closer to the ideal automatically. Roundness, and an absolute minimum of edge upsets - tears, etc. is necessary for really good results. This year's pinhole camera was a 4x5, it does seem that larger formats produce sharper images.

I used a .014 inch (0.36 mm) pinhole for a body cap adapter for my Bronica SQ-A (poor man's Hasselblad! )a few years back. The pinhole to film distance was about 90 mm.

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Steve,
    I liked the link where he measures the hole size with the enlarger. That's a good solution!
    http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholecameras/pinhole_01.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Earl Jones [earlj] at f295.org also sells pinholes (made for electron microscope) of various sizes for a dollar a piece I guess.. he had run an advertisement in that forum as well.. can save you some troubles..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin