Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,743   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi there

Shooter
    Pinhole

Hi there

I want to build a pinhole camera.It is almost done.I still have problems to fix:when I take a shot, I have to measure how much I have to turn the film so they do not mix-up or if my pinhole design is ok(I mean in mm.)
    This are the details:
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/pinholedesign.jpg/

Focal length: 28mm
    Pinhole diam: 1mm
    F-stop: f28

I have an AgfaPhoto 200 film, Vistaplus.I guess it is too sensitive, I should go for a simple B&W film.I now this is based in general on trial and error but I do not really aford it...
    Some help with the f28?I need some very clear data sunny-exposuer, cloudy -exposure )
    Do I have an optimal pinhole camera design, to short exposures?
    I am very new in photography, I am a simple amateur.Sorry for my rusty english and my chaotic way of writing, but the ideas and questions just pop-up.

I love this site, this is the place to learn real photography.

Best wishes,

Alex Cruceru.
    Last edited by Kinetic; 09-08-2011 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a web site dedicated to making pinhole cameras, don't remember where at the moment. I believe your aperture and f/stop is wrong for focal length, should be much smaller. I'll find the site and give you the url.

link to pinhole calculator:

http://www.mrpinhole.com/wiz.php

To find out how much to wind film between shots, use some spent film and measure how much is spooled for every revolution of the winder and extrapolate.

BTW, welcome to the clan.
    Last edited by Rick A; 09-08-2011 at 06:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: info
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Oh thanks for the site.I think I will redo the camera.I have to get one focal length and one pinhole diam. right.After that I guess is much easier.I admit, I like to make something with my own hands and put together something new, with my own system of winding the right.
    Too bad that film do not wind a fix number of full 360 rotations.It would be so much easier.I have to make some marks on the top of the cam, under the nob , to get the right wind revolution.Yes, I did a small test with an old used film and it has something like ~130 degrees.
    ) I want to make this camera for me, for my problems with forgeting to wind, or how much did I wind, to stop the winding process when I do not use the camera , so on and so on.
    Another little problem is that I can't get simple b&w films, all are for manual process.I do not have the place for a obscure camera or the knowledge(yet).Still I bought 2 Agfa APX ISO-100 professional.Hope I can get the negatives somewhere.

I am glad to be in the clan and I hope I will have some photos to share with you...sooooon!

Best wishes Rick,

Alex C.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The site with much pinhole information is http://www.f295.org/site/

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you, thank you.Wish me luck!
    And I think I will try to use polaroid film too(when I can afford it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome To APUG Alex !
    Please keep us updated with your progress.

Ron

Shooter
    Pinhole
    One more question: can a Polaroid 300 1.8"x2.4" - be used for a pinhole camera? did some one try this? and maybe some tips about how to make the film appear? the film will be used in a box and not an old polaroid.I want to make this pinhole camera for both negativ film and instant film.
    Good luck my pinhole-ing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make a camera smaller than a matchbox and as large as an airplane hanger.
    There are no limits but it is easier if you can develop film or paper because you can also make paper negatives cheaply.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I agree john.I just have to know wich f stop goes for my focal length, then what exposure times I have to use for different type of lights(wich still bugs me, they are not really simple to get wich is for wich..I have a lightmeter on my android phone, still need to get to know to use it.I love the challenge!

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're new to pinhole photography, or photography in general, I would start with a simple and proven design. Both of these are well documented:

Oatmeal box camera:
    http://users.rcn.com/stewoody

This camera makes negative exposures on to 5x7 black and white paper. I would suggest Ilford Grade 2 RC paper, pearl or matte finish, developing in Ilford PQ developer and fixing with Ilford Rapid Fixer. You'll need a simple darkroom set up to load/unload the camera and develop the negatives. You can scan and invert the negatives or make contact prints. Anyway, the camera is a dead simple design and was my introduction to analog photography. For example...

Populist 35mm pinhole camera:
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

If you'd rather not mess around with a darkroom and chemicals right away, the Populist is a 35mm pinhole camera and can also be made from stuff around the house. I think it's a little harder to build and the final product isn't very rigid, which presents some challenges, but it's a good place to learn about camera design for this type of thing, and it is capable of good results. Again...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin