Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,985   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Laser drilled pinhole source

Done a little searching here and elsewhere without much luck. I know sources have been mentioned, but I can't find any here.

Looking to replace all my pholes with fresh laser drilled. Can these be made with a +/- .01mm tolerance? I have all my cameras set to about f250, that is, I did the math for the hole-to-film plane distance, and I made a few dozen holes and selected the ones closest to make the math work.

Anyways, a link or ref to a laser pinhole source would be great. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Laser pinhole source

Try this link. http://www.lenoxlaser.com/index.php?...FRQhnAod6laUqA

I used them before without any problems.

Louis

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bought the occasional pinhole off ebay, item 170697364060 for example. But part of the fun of pinhole photography is seeing what you get when you make your own holes, with their various different characters depending on roundness, size, thickness of the material, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Can these be made with a +/- .01mm tolerance? I have all my cameras set to about f250
    Probably not. Could you measure them that accurately to verify them?

I'm sure they're more than accurate enough though, whatever the actual tolerance is.

I would like to be able to do this myself but the laser we have at work is for cutting plastics and doesn't make a mark on even the thinnest of foils.

Steve.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lenox Laser is a high precision outfit with a good product line for photography..EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can scan in the pinhole and use photoshop to measure it....That's how I determined my f/stop.

O noes! Digital talks! I
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    You can do the same thing with an enlarger, a short lens and a ruler or pair of calipers.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Could you measure them that accurately to verify them?
    No problem at all - one uses an optical comparator, available from all the usual guilty parties:
    http://www.nikoninstruments.com/Prod...al-Comparators

A tolerance of 10% (1/4 stop) in hole size is more than adequate. Don't forget that the 'optimum' hole size depends on the light wavelength, and as that varies over a close to 2:1 range so does the optimum hole. If one were to be ultimately anally retentive one would need one size hole for red subjects and another size for blue subjects.

I use my enlarger to inspect pinholes for roundness and size. Put the pinhole where the negative should go, put in a short lens and crank the head up. To make sure they have a razor edge to them I look for light reflecting off the sides of the hole.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 09-23-2011 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best place is here. http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/for...?m-1283887930/ Earl is selling EMS pinholes in most required sizes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin