Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,760   Online: 845

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pinhole Holga 35mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6291896033_f9c485abe4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	40934

I came into a windfall, literally, of photo equipment. A friend of mine sent me her pinhole Holga, her 120 Holga and a couple of other plastic cameras with three rolls of Lomography redtone film. THEN, I'm at a camera shop getting a lens fixed. Another fellow in there heard the owner and I talking about shoe box pinhole cameras, my old vintage cameras, my 35mm Pentax (which was getting the 70-200mm lens fixed), and the slew of cheapie plastic cameras I pick up at 2nd hand shops. The gentleman who was listening to us talk about cameras happens to be moving. He brought in a couple of boxes of chemicals (of which I'm not sure if I should attempt to use them or not), trays, paper, tons, measuring cups, ect...AND a medium format Besseler enlarger! So not only do I have a friend of mine sending me some plastic cameras (I think they're cool in a very lo-fi sort of way - a bit like listening to vinyl records with the Rice Crispies soundtrack), I have a whole SLEW of totally awesome things for my storage room/darkroom. *giggles* It feels like Christmas! BTW, I did make the gentleman from the shop a couple of prints and I have a letter typed up for him (cold weather and pens and I do NOT get along). I also have a print made for the shop owner...and then I bought a 28-85mm Sears lens from him for $20.

NOW, to get to the photograph. (I just had to add a back story to it.)

Pinhole photos and the park. Same park as my first Coca Cola tin pinhole/paper photo that ended up with an 'angel' in the middle of the lagoon. Now I have a spirit watching the ducks? I think I may just have to go to my favorite cemetery in town to see what happens. Why not? Monday IS Halloween.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

ced

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Susan nice photo and reminds one of a lazy summer's afternoon down at the river.
    What in your opinion caused the black patch on the left side?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That "rice crispy pop" is a bad needle. Vinyl is "anologue" just as silver halide and it is the only way to listen to good music especially on a quality turn table. So Holga would be analgous to a toy plastic record player that plays pop-goes-the-weasel on those thick colored child prof discs. Not that I don't like plastic cameras, if they perpetuate film great. I still need to play with one.

It sounds like you had a good day of it.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ced View Post
    Susan nice photo and reminds one of a lazy summer's afternoon down at the river.
    What in your opinion caused the black patch on the left side?

That black patch is probably an issue with lighting outside. Shadows are too heavy, therefore, a bit of dodging that area would be needed for a better print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    That "rice crispy pop" is a bad needle. Vinyl is "anologue" just as silver halide and it is the only way to listen to good music especially on a quality turn table. So Holga would be analgous to a toy plastic record player that plays pop-goes-the-weasel on those thick colored child prof discs. Not that I don't like plastic cameras, if they perpetuate film great. I still need to play with one.

It sounds like you had a good day of it.

I still have my little plastic record player, only the colored discs are old 1920s songs. It's more of a music box, than anything. I like plastic cameras from time to time, just because of the different perspective and how those plastic lenses interpret the light to record an image on film. I've had a lot of fun with the Holga 120 the same friend gave me. I was shocked at how nice some of the photos have turned out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will admit that they can be a lot of fun even unpredictable, the same reasons I develope in coffee and even cross process films. But I have never understood why anyone would pay $100 or more for one when a good camera could be had for that or you could just make one from scrap.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I will admit that they can be a lot of fun even unpredictable, the same reasons I develope in coffee and even cross process films. But I have never understood why anyone would pay $100 or more for one when a good camera could be had for that or you could just make one from scrap.
    I got mine for free...well, the cost of one b/w print and an upcycled picture frame, plus shipping. (It was a brass frame, cost me .25 at a yard sale.) I threw in some spare 35mm reels and one 120 reel that I'm not using because I know she wants to start developing her own b/w film. I don't have any spare tanks, though...otherwise I would have put one of those in her box, too. *shrugs* I'm having fun with the little Holga pinhole. I put a roll of Lomo Redtone film in it yesterday. I'm not really looking for 'quality', ie: the PERFECT photograph, but fun and kicky. I could easily achieve that with my Pentax but I'm fond of plastic cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin