Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,706   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinhole Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pinhole Pentax

My dear old Pentax ME Super has lost it's light meter and has been sitting on the shelf looking forlorn and lost for a couple of years. But today I came across this:

http://www.pinholeresource.com/shop/...category_id=14

Toward the bottom there's one for Pentax K mount. I've never done pinhole photography, but it looks fun. Does anybody know how these caps work? It sure would be nice to use to start using the Super again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like fun! They drill a hole in a standard body cap, then cover the hole with a piece of thin metal with a pinhole drilled in it. No lens needed- the pinhole forms the image.

45mm focal length, f/181.
    I'd say the winder won't be needed.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-19-2011 at 02:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    about a year ago I took a spare body cap and drilled a hole in it, then used foil/electrical tape and experimented with different sized holes and ended up with some neat pic's. It was a lot cheaper than 45 bucks. I did this with a Pentax digital SLR which was nice because I got immediate feedback on the effect I got with different sized holes and shutter speeds. I misplaced that particular body cap earlier this year, but it can be made form any body cap as long as it's designed for your particular lens mount, It's cheap fun.

Edit: Since this is an analog forum, I used the digital with my homemade body cap to get approximate hole size/shutter speeds at different iso values so I could use them as a starting point on my Pentax film pinhole photography (wink, wink).
    Last edited by average-guy; 12-19-2011 at 01:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add extra info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm. Home built... I don't really like a lot of home built pictures I've seen - the main problem probably being imprecision in the hole causing excessive softness. I thought this product might get around that. But then again, Denver Camera Exchange has a whole bin full of spare caps. It shouldn't be too hard to find somebody to laser drill a hole in a piece of soda can. Average, you might be on to something. Either that or your on something.

My original question was meant more along the lines of "I'm thinking that to use this I would replace the existing cap, put it on bulb setting with a cable release and use the mirror as the shutter." Does that sound right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    its really not hard to make a nice sharp pinhole if you have one of these start the hole with a pin over something sort of soft - like phone book so that you can get an actual depression or even small hole - and then start to rub it on the plate (wet to lubricate it)you can start to widen the hole up with the needle, a little more pressure and the plate. when you are done, burnish the edges of the hole by just twisting the metal on the end of the needle.

I have one those caps for my Minolta and its decent - the price a little hi but not that bad and it gets you going immediately - though I found I can get sharper stuff with my own if I take the time with it.

In fact, I took this, this, [/URL], this and this with that pre-made cap.
    Last edited by nhemann; 12-19-2011 at 05:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took an old beer can, cut out a piece, sanded it thin, used a needle to poke the whole, and finally used my scanner to derive the actual hole size and therefore the f#.

Sharp as a tack. Homebuilt stuff can be just as good.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is getting good.

nhemann - I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Profe.../dp/B000UZET0M It would probably work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh yeah - just as good. I mentioned the small ones only because most people don't have such nice stones.

also that avatar pic of me over to the left was taken with that ready-made cap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Klainmeister - how did you measure the hole once you scanned it? I would assume you knew the enlargement and did some arithmetic, but how did you know the enlargement factor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    scan it at the highest possible resolution you can (mine is like 2000 dpi) enlarge that image in a graphics program - Gimp is free - and then select it with a circle tool to tell you how many pixels wide it is. Multiply: number of pixels * inches-per-pixel and voila - pinhole diameter!

I remeasured mine with a microscope once and the method was pretty damned accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin