Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 820

Shooter
    Large Format

Reflection Fogging - HELP FAST!!!

Tomorrow is winter solstice and I'm going to be loading a bunch of cameras tonight to put up for solargraphs. I took one down today that's been up for six months and I just took a very quick look at it but it seems like it's very fogged and monotone - but there's definitely an image. I used a soup can for the camera and the paper covered almost the whole interior of the camera. I'm thinking that light is bouncing off the white paper and fogging the image. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem? Maybe use a smaller sheet of paper that covers the back half of the camera? I was using fiber paper, if that makes any difference. Help would be greatly appreciated since I'm loading cameras tonight! Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't really know - but maybe try matt paper?
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    It was matte paper, but I still think the fact that it's white or a very light cream color is affecting the rest of the image - hmmm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about trying a half sheet or smaller.

Would this kill the shot you're after?

edit: okay saw you already thought of it
    sounds like it may work if the inside of the can is matte black.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I might go ahead and try half a sheet. It wouldn't necessarily kill the shot, just might not have all of the image that could be there. The good thing is I'm putting up like 12 cameras, so I'll try different things in each of them and see what happens.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    maybe paint the whole inside with black paint?
    Ric Johnson
    Proud member of the League of Upper Midwest Pinholers & f295

"I think, therefore, I photograph."

Shooter
    Large Format
    I painted all the new ones black inside. That will definitely help with reflections if I don't use a full piece to cover the whole inside. I'm thinking too it will keep light from bouncing back onto the paper after it goes "through" the paper.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Stray thoughts, too late for the solstice, but here goes.
    Fogginess may be part of the nature of the beast.
    Did you gauge the fogginess by looking at the neg or doing a scan? Looking at the image after scanning may make it look better and bring out the color.
    The paper you use will have a huge impact on what the image looks like. See this link: http://www.greggkemp.com/projects/pa...or-solargraphy A rule of thumb is to use multigrade paper and not graded paper.
    Do you live in a snowy climate? Six month solargraphs where I live are likely to have between four and ten weeks of snow cover on the ground. This can lighten an image, to say the least.

And best of luck with the solargraphs. They are fascinating and often a pleasant surprise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin