Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,638   Online: 1123

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going bessa?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mirror slap is NOT an issue!!! A steady hand IS!

Why do I like to use a rangefinder? The size! And the way it MAKES me think... it's a little different than the SLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had Zeiss Ikon, Leica M3 and M6, and Bessa R4A. For me, the best all rounder is Zeiss Ikon, and frankly, I shouldn't have sold it. The Bessas are great though, particularly if you have odd requirements for frame lines, like 40mm or 21mm/25mm. If you just want 35mm and 50mm, I do think the Ikon is the camera to go for, and it's worth stretching the budget for. It has a long effective base length, ideal for fast lenses like the 35mm f/1.4 Nokton.

Leicas obviously have their considerable charms, but the bargains don't have meters, and the cloth shutter might let in a little light. The Leicas in the Bessa/Ikon price range are old cameras and may indeed have issues. There is the Leica CL of course, but I've never had one of those, so won't comment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Would love a Zeiss Ikon but budget doesn't really permit that. Maybe if I take on more jobs with the SLR and slowly save for the Ikon...

Tried the Bessa in the store and love the R3M due to the 1:1 vf magnification. Feels clunky though and was a bit tough to focus at times. Zeiss Ikon was like a whole different world.

That being said, would it seem weird if I said I can focus my F3 more accurately? Maybe it's what I'm used to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Tried the Bessa in the store and love the R3M due to the 1:1 vf magnification. Feels clunky though and was a bit tough to focus at times. Zeiss Ikon was like a whole different world.

That being said, would it seem weird if I said I can focus my F3 more accurately? Maybe it's what I'm used to...
    Try comparing focusing accuracy in lousy light conditions....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's a matter of what you're used to, I recently got my first 35mm SLR (Leica R8), and I find range finders an order of magnitude easier to focus. However, I'm sure for SLR users going to range finders feel the opposite. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

I'm not sure if you're buying new or used, but a used Ikon is probably about the same price as a new Bessa. Of course, if you want new, that's your choice, and an understandable one. There is something pleasing about being the only owner, and of course that long warranty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is absolutely horrid to do with a rangefinder. One can do it with an SLR amazingly well.

RFs have their advantages, but the low light focusing ability is actually one of their worst attributes. Different? Yes. Easier to think that you got it right, because you cannot really tell, so you just accept the slop? Yes. Actually more accurate and precise? Hell no.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    RFs have their advantages, but the low light focusing ability is actually one of their worst attributes.
    For me it is different. The VFs of the RFs I use (Mamiya 6 and bessa T) are extremely bright and.... unlensed, of course. So in low light they're as good as looking directly at the scene. The RF focusing is a cinch- certainly easier than SLR focusing in the same conditions. And I have an f/1.2 SLR lens that I like for low light, so...

In extremely low light, one has to go with scale focusing, which is also very easy. And you can do that just as well with SLRs as RFs, of course.

Enterprising photographers can always find a way to get it done, whatever their gear.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay this is going to get subjective, but I shoot a lot wide open (f2 usually or f1.8 or 1.4 if the lens can handle it or I really need it.)

My question is: is there a large difference between my Nikkor AI 35mm F2 (for example) at f2 and a CV lens (say a 35mm lens) at F2? I think it's alone would justify or push me away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For wides I would usually favor an RF. 35mm though, that's only kinda / sorta wide. Very little difference probably. Not a large difference.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I received the NikonF3 H2 screen and it's actually made focusing worse for me when light is low.... believe it or not. I guess maybe a G2 screen might fit the bill but at this point I think I'm done trying to make this work for low light. When there's plenty of light, it's good. I think this screen requires some amount of light to work. :P

That being said, I've been playing with a cheapo rangefinder and find it pretty easy to work with. I think it just takes practice and getting used to.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin