Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,776   Online: 907

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Leica M6

jhw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And if you want to go a bit longer, the Nokton 1.5 is a fun lens. As some have said, there are a few Zeiss ZM lenses that are standouts...in those focal ranges, give it a whirl to save up. Until then, most everything now is state of the art, and you're going to have a blast with the Skopar; I have the 28mm and it works quite nice. (And, if you're parting out that Mam7 and have a spare 65mm... )

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hopefully, you complete the circle by enlarging those M6 B&W negs on a Leitz 1C.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    I highly recommend Sean Reid's subscription site for in-depth reviews and comparisons of most of the Voigtlander, Zeiss, and many Leica lenses. It is a paid site, with an irritating flash interface, but the reviews are worth it if you are getting in to lens purchasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW...

If you locate any of the Konica Hexar RF lenses (M mount) they deserve serious consideration. Excellent build quality and optics. There are some reports of focusing problems with some Leica/Konica combinations (read here http://cameraquest.com/konicam.htm ). I had no problems and find them to be a great pairing with Leica M's.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hopefully, you complete the circle by enlarging those M6 B&W negs on a Leitz 1C.
    Indeed and equiped with a good clean Focotar 5cm 3.5 lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I dont own one and have no insight, but do post your results to the gallery when you get some film run. CONGRATS on your new rig!!!!!!!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, the M6 is a lovely camera body to use!
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I've gone for the skopar 2.5, purely for economy, but I'll keep my eye open for a better one. Should get my first chance to use it later this week.
    Sorry JHW, the 65mm (ebay again) on my mamiya7 has become my standard lens, and its the 43mm that has become almost redundant, although its great for interiors.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey48 View Post
    I'll start with a voigtlander as a cheap option just to get me started, then keep an eye out for a used leica lens when I've accumulated a bit more cash. At least I've got the body, so thats the main thing.
    Thanks for the info.

I would be wary about replacing your voigtlander lenses with older used leica ones. I've been told that the current voigtlander lenses are actually better than some of the older leica ones. Lower price does not necessarily mean worse quality.

I have a similar dilemma. I would like to replace my SLR with a rangefinder outfit, but I've come to the conclusion that in this country at least, (UK) Leica gear is now priced to attract investors rather than photographers, for instance, a secondhand recent 35mm f2 Summicron will set you back well over £1,000, which is crazy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey48 View Post
    Thanks guys. I've gone for the skopar 2.5, purely for economy, but I'll keep my eye open for a better one.
    You got the 35/2.5 right?

Great choice. I've owned this lens myself and found it very sharp with nice oof rendering.

To me personally the choice between Zeiss, Leica, Voigtlander and the rest is not so much a matter of better, but of personal preference for particular charasteristics. For example the Voigtlander 35/2.5 is very sharp and very contrasty. A less contrasty lens will not be anything worse, just different.

Pity that Leica M lens prices have sky-rocketed. Long live digital mirrorless...

Well, one day the digital crowd (myself included) will start dumping these systems and their lenses again, in trade for something newer and 'better'. Prices for 30-year old optics can't be this consistently high, can they? Hm, perhaps they can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin