Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,112   Online: 1013

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Leica M6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    I would be wary about replacing your voigtlander lenses with older used leica ones. I've been told that the current voigtlander lenses are actually better than some of the older leica ones. Lower price does not necessarily mean worse quality.

I have a similar dilemma. I would like to replace my SLR with a rangefinder outfit, but I've come to the conclusion that in this country at least, (UK) Leica gear is now priced to attract investors rather than photographers, for instance, a secondhand recent 35mm f2 Summicron will set you back well over £1,000, which is crazy.
    What exactly does "better" mean? To each his own of course. When the V lens were hot a few years ago I tried a few. Sharp? Yes. Well-built? Well enough. But for my B&w shooting and what I wanted I just felt they were too clinical and boring. Totally subjective I know. Much happier with my 50/2 Summicron DR, 50/1.5 Summarit and classic 50/3.5 Elmar. Just me of course but other than the 75/2.5 the Voigtlanders are not my cup of tea.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey48 View Post
    Has anybody used Voigtlander lenses with their Leicas? Whats your verdict?
    The only easily detectable difference betwen the various lenses that you may buy is between the multi coated and the single coated. The single coated is nicer with mono or color, but may flare more in extreme sceanes.

The 5cm Elmar from 58 on is a bit soft in corners, the earlier 3.5 is better, but you might not detect this difference, the modern post '94 Elmar is modern, and performs well.

You may be more annoyed by the handling differences of the lenses, finger size and length dependent... I have to slug any of mine with heavier lube to stiffen the rings

There are other LTM or M lens suppliers e.g. Konica

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    But for my B&w shooting and what I wanted I just felt they were too clinical and boring.
    That's what I wanted to say as well, but I didn't want to spoil the party too much. I still don't, but it has always seemed to me that the Voigtlander 35 Skopar has a sort of harshness (high contrast) in b&w that is totally opposite to the subtle rendering of my Contax G lenses and the Leica Minilux 40mm/2.4.

This is all about personal taste, nothing about better. The 35 Skopar has many other qualities and is a joy to work with. I had the LTM version with the little 'stick' instead of a focusing tab- worked great.

I've never used the Skopar for colour.

The OP can always upgrade/downgrade to another brand/line/lens at some later time. The great thing for now is that he can use his new Leica for real!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    bla bla bla...
    ... for me owning a Leica lens is more important than the body (LTM world). But IF I shot M-mount I would want an M body too.

Yes I used Voitlander 21, 35mm lenses. They are nice... but I like Leica qualities better in the 35mm format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an M2, just haven't had enough cash to buy a Leica lens. I really wanted a Summilux 35/1.4. I bought a Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4 and also the Nokton 50/1.1. I am so happy with these lenses. I am so happy with these lenses. They are wonderful and are a great value for the money. I would not hesitate to buy Voigtlander glass in the future.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both the CV 1.9/28 and the last Leica 2.8/28 before the 2/28A are great. (The 2/28A even more so). The last tabbed 50 Summicron (called version 4) is a gem. Be patient about buying and shoot a lot. Thus you learn about your needs, dislikes, etc. Your experience will become *very* valuable next time you got the money to go and purchase more gear. Buying the wrong items for your needs is by far the most expensive aspect of buying photo gear...
    And yes, above all: enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years back I bought an M6 with a 35mm Summicron (non-ASPH) and loved the output. I wanted a wider option and also something with which to shoot portraits, so I got the CV 28/f1.9 Ultron and the CV 75mm/f1.8. I loved the 28mm (although it was a bit soft round the edges until about f3.5 onwards) but I couldn't get the hang of the 75mm.

Eventually, I got pi**ed off with the loading method - especially in cold weather - as I have clumsy paws, and traded the lot. Bad mistake, I really missed it.

Some years later, I had a bit of spare cash and I bought an M6TTL 0.72x with a 50mm Summicron (non ASPH) and I've added a 28mm/f2.8 Elmarit-M, 35mm/f2.8 Canon (contemporary with the Canon 7, I think, not the earlier one) and an old 9cm/f4 Elmar. They come to work with me daily, now.

However, as per the earlier poster, if I had to build a system again, I would probably go for the Leica lenses first as the major expenditure and fit them to a Voigtlander body until such point as I could afford a Leica M body. Why? Simply because I believe that the lenses make more difference than the body which, at the end of the day, is a light-proof box with a light meter in it.

Nevertheless, you have a fine piece of kit and I hope you enjoy using it for many, many years to come.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    CV lenses offer tremendous value for the price. Don't overlook the 40 f1.4. It's a bargain and can be a nice only lens until you decide to expand your collection. The only drawback to CV lenses is they sometimes decide to unscrew themselves. If you catch it in time, you can fix it yourself. Otherwise, try to save all the pieces.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the CV 35/2.5 on my M6. It is my everyday lens.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.278246,-80.249500
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin