Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,250   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Leica M6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Leica M6

I've just become the proud owner of a Leica M6 Classic, having won a bid on Ebay for £690. Its a wonderful piece of kit, and feels good just to hold it, compared to my Minolta SLR I've been using for 25 years!I think thats quite a bargain, including presentation box and original packing box. What do you think? I can't see any less than £700 on the second hand sites I've looked at. I never thought I'd ever be able to own one, or even hold one, so now I can't wait to try it out. But first I need a lens, and I'm thinking about getting a Voigtlander Colour Skopar 35mm, as dedicated Leica lenses are way too expensive for me. Has anybody used Voigtlander lenses with their Leicas? Whats your verdict?
    I've rather neglected 35mm over the last few years and concentrated mainly on medium format with my Mamiya 7II, but I think the Leica will start me up again.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have owned the 35/1.7, the 28/1.9, the 25, and 15. All were great lenses. The 28 in particular was one of the best lenses I've ever had, in terms of definite personality. The 35 lacked nothing at all, and surely beat the pants off the old 35/1.5 Canon, and RF Summilux I had previously owned (which were also a couple of decades older), as well as my current 35/2 Nikkor (which is more modern). The 25 was forgettable, and the first one I got rid of.

My impression from those was that their slow lenses are fine enough, but the fast ones are better in terms of having an indefinable something, and probably the lens you mention would not be my first choice. The 35/1.4 looks awfully pretty in the pictures, and quite compact. You already spend a bunch of money--is now the moment to go cheap? :-)
    Last edited by mdarnton; 01-07-2012 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Voigtlander line is quite capable and a very nice bargain. I've recently acquired a 21mm f/4 and really like how it handles. I went the more expensive route when building up my Leica kit, but doing it all over again - an M6 with Voigtlander lenses is a great option that would have saved me a lot of money. There is nothing that compares to the 50mm Summilux ASPH in my book, but for almost the same capability and nearly 1/10th of the cost, you can still take great pictures with the Voigtlander line. If you are patient thought you can pickup a Zeiss ZM Planar f/2 for less than US$700 and it is a wonderful lens as well.

Enjoy the M6 and post some photos when you can!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I already had a range of Voigtlander lenses from my R3A and R4A bodies when I bought my M6. I mainly use the CV 35/1.4 on it. I sold the R3A with its Nokton 40/1.4 but kept the R4A as I like to shoot wide and the R4 cameras have frame lines from 21mm top 50mm. The M6 stops at 28mm and has a frame for 135mm which I'll never use.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey48 View Post
    I've just become the proud owner of a Leica M6 Classic, having won a bid on Ebay for £690. Its a wonderful piece of kit, and feels good just to hold it, compared to my Minolta SLR I've been using for 25 years!I think thats quite a bargain, including presentation box and original packing box. What do you think? I can't see any less than £700 on the second hand sites I've looked at. I never thought I'd ever be able to own one, or even hold one, so now I can't wait to try it out. But first I need a lens, and I'm thinking about getting a Voigtlander Colour Skopar 35mm, as dedicated Leica lenses are way too expensive for me. Has anybody used Voigtlander lenses with their Leicas? Whats your verdict?
    I've rather neglected 35mm over the last few years and concentrated mainly on medium format with my Mamiya 7II, but I think the Leica will start me up again.
    I do not know, obviously, what your budget is, or how nasty importation charges are in the UK, but a site I recommend checking out here in Canada is www.vintagevisuals.com. I have dealt with the company for several years and have always come away quite satisfied with my purchases (I have probably spent something in the neighborhood of $25-30,000 Cdn ((12-15,000 UK pounds?)) over the last several years). VV's inventory varies, and much of it goes quickly. Prices, for the most part, are, in my estimation, quite reasonable: on several purchases (my 50mm Summilux ASPH, my 35mm Summicron, as well as an assortment of Leica black and white filters), prices were lower than the same items available through the redoubtable KEH. So...do not "write off" a Leitz purchase before checking around...

Shooter
    35mm

Re Leica M6 and voigtlander lenses

I have a Bessa 3a with 40mm f1.4. Liked it so much I treated myself to a Leica M7 as a retirement present to myself! Beautifully made and in a league of its own. I also thought the price of S/H leica lenses was unaffordable. So bought some S/H voigtlander ones. 35mm f2.5 is small and pin sharp. Bought a 50mm f1.5 Nocton off ebay (39mm screw thread) and cheap adaptor ring. Bit big but great lens for low light. Now added S/H 28mm f2 (ebay) and S/H 75mm f2.5 (screw mount). Also got S/H Rokkor M 90mm f4. Heard that this is the same design as Leica 90mm f4. I have bought many second hand lenses for all sorts of cameras on the grounds that glass never wears out no matter how much light goes through it! My final money saving DIY tip is this - but be very careful. The screw thread lenses focussed slightly beyond infinity when adaptor was fitted and the focus mark was not at the top when the lens was mounted on the camera (Voigtlander and Leica). Sorted this problem by use of a small amount of plumbers thread tape wound VERY CAREFULLY on the thread of the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never used the 35mm 2.5, but have nothing but good reports on it. I used to have the 35mm 1.7 but sold it recently for the 35mm 1.4....both are brilliant. I have an M2 with the 50mm Summicron, but that is the only Leica lens that I own for RF, the rest are Voigtlanders. Every one that I have performs really well, with the 75mm Heliar and the 21mm Skopar being standouts.
    Congrats on the M6, they are rather special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a M6 and a color skopar 35mm/2.5: it is a very good combination, small lens with fast focusing tab and sharp results and very decent price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the tips

I'll start with a voigtlander as a cheap option just to get me started, then keep an eye out for a used leica lens when I've accumulated a bit more cash. At least I've got the body, so thats the main thing.
    Thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin