Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,652   Online: 660

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Leica M6 with small Canon flash?

Folks -
    I have an M6 (classic) and almost never use flash. But, famous last words, you never say never.

Came across a little hotshoe mount Canon flash, for use with their small film/digi cameras...my question: would the extra 'pins' on the flash in any way damage the M6?

The M6's hotshoe mount only has one connector, to trigger the flash...it seems to me the extra pins on the flash unit simply wouldn't trigger anything.

BUT...I don't want to find out otherwise the hard way.

What say you all, APUG experts?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    you can use every flash on the M 6 which has the international ISO shoe. If you switch the flash to manual or simple auto operation (not TTL) the additional TTL-contacts are not operational. Since the M 6 classic does not have any electronic circuits for TTL inside, there cannot be any problem. As your flash is suitable for modern digital equipment, it has a low voltage between the contacts and this is even better to protect the mechanical synchro contact from erosion by sparks (but the M 6 is a good and expensive camera and I suggest that Leitz had them gold plated). Old Metz CT 45's and many other older flash units have over 200 Volts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, what he said. No problem at all. The only reservation I would have is that using a Canon flash on the Leica would be SACRILEGE!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hahaha, definitely sacrilege considering I was always a Nikon guy! But it'll have to do until I find a small Leica flash...not in too big a rush though as I'm a dedicated available light guy.

thanks guys
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the Vivitar 2800 is apparently the choice of light for M users. Heard the photojournalists who do light, keep the 2800 in their bag. Most use it for winking. I like mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can put anything on it. I have used SB flashes in a pinch.

Instead of wasting money on the Leica flash that takes a silly battery and does not have a tilting head for bounce, buy the vivitar 2800. Put a small bit of warming gel in the center and done. Wonderful, warm, bounced light with AA power.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Avoid any of the silly flashes that can only be used "dedicated" on certain digital or even some later film cameras.

Having an "Auto" sensor on the flash is definitely handy. Having multiple manual settings as well is even better.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin