Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,836   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Non-Perforated film in your Leica

I noticed that Leicas can use Non-perforated film. You can bulk-load your films and punch a little hole right at the tip of the film on each canister, this way your Leica can grab the start of the film and move it all the way through.

If you shoot and develop and print your own B&W film, you're good to use non-perforated films in your Leicas.

Now my question: The labs that develop and scan 35mm film (Dwayne's comes to mind), do they absolutely need the film to be perforated? Is it a necessity for it to be transported through the C-41 machine and scanned?

I am posting this in hopes to make you guys save some good money on films. Especially non-perforated Portra bulk films on Ebay that can be had for as low as 25$ the 100ft Roll! And there's plenty! You can also buy some AGFA APX100 non-perforated Bulk Rolls.

Food for thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, I didn't know that you could buy unperforated film, but there you go. Most C41 machines that I'm aware of don't require perforations for the processing cycle. The film is attached by tape to a plastic leader card and is dragged through by that card, which has perforations down the centre to engage the film processor drive. Same for dip and dunk processors (does anyone use those anymore?) which only attach at the ends. Can't see any problem with scanning either.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The M6 has a sturdy set of sprockets inside for dealing with perforated film. Would it not leave marks on the unperforated film as it travelled past the shutter aperture to the take-up reel? Would there be the potential for mis-alignment of the film, which the sprockets are there to prevent?

Nick

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I don't quite see how this would work (I'm not saying that it wouldn't, just that I don't see how!)
    Surely the unperforated film would just sit on top of the film sprocket's teeth. To roll the film tightly on the takeup spool, it normally rotates a little faster than the rate the film advances when driven by the sprocket, but has a slipping clutch (the friction between the removable takeup spool and its spindle, in the early Leicas). If using unperfed film the takeup spool would then be dragging the film over the teeth of the sprocket, with the likelihood of carving off small bits of emulsion and base material and cheerfully sending them into the works? Additionally, (forgetting that) if the film advance is determined by the takeup spool, as more film is wound on, its diameter will increase and the gaps between frames will get steadily greater through the roll. Perhaps not an issue if the non-perfed film is cheap enough!

At that point I'll stand back and prepare to be corrected!

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    This sounds a lot like a "tip" that someone has not tried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I could imagine usage of use non-perforated film in some situations like putting it in holga or some other medium format camera, home made pinhole camera... but in Leica - I don't think so.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was a thought I had at 3am. I'll revisit it this afternoon when I'm a bit more intelligent...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having a Leica and putting unperforated film in it is like having a Rolls Royce and putting diesel in it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Having a Leica and putting unperforated film in it is like having a Rolls Royce and putting diesel in it.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
    There's an insane amount of great out of production film out there that I've almost cried over for not being able to use it simply because it was not peforated. Think of kodak IR, tech pan, konica IR and even APX100 that's getting hard to find these days.

Leicas are cameras that I put through regular use. If I can use non-perforated film in it, it will then reveal itself as an even more capable tool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a Soviet Leningrad camera: spring-motor driven and doesn't use sprockets...
    (Actually, not a bad camera, has framelines for various FLs in viewfinder and is generally better made than most Sovs.)

Using sprocketless film on a camera which uses sprockets is simply asking for several types of trouble, as others have posted.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin