Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,872   Online: 873

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    i cannot think of any particular alignment of stars that might make me pick a leica over the F6. in fact, my last (only second, really) leica succumbed to craigslist last year, leaving my closet to a rowdy pack of F2s and i do shoot street, a statistically significant 95% of the time (for one thing, the F2 lets me shoot into the sun as well )

ps. just for the record, i've heard Ms louder than the F6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Using and thinking slr and rangefinder, actually non-slr) are 2 different mindtraining experiences. each requires your eye and mind to see and think differently. Do you think the non-slr will let you see and think dofferently and in a better way than with the slr. If so, give it a try; if not why move. Street photography does not require a non-slr; it almost seems a myth to support the non-slr owners. Before, I get flamed, I own a Leica as my main 35mm camera along with a couple of other non-slr cameras.

If you've not tried and used one, before dumping a load of cash, I agree go get a non-slr to try first. There are a number of great fixed lens cameras that do not go for a lot of money to try. I use an old Vito with a Color-Skopar and a Zeiss Ikonta both of which give great results. The Vito lens is so good sometimes when shooting it and the Leica, I prefer the Vito results.

Also, I read you are trying a IIIG. The LTM bodies I prefer over the M bodies that are larger. Screw on a collapsible lens and it is very pocketable, a BIG plus in street shooting. The only M mount body that comes close in size is the Leica CL that with the 40mm lens makes for a great walk around street camera but, sadly is pooh-poohed by so many Leicaphiles.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    i cannot think of any particular alignment of stars that might make me pick a leica over the F6. in fact, my last (only second, really) leica succumbed to craigslist last year, leaving my closet to a rowdy pack of F2s and i do shoot street, a statistically significant 95% of the time (for one thing, the F2 lets me shoot into the sun as well )

ps. just for the record, i've heard Ms louder than the F6
    Couldn't be further from the truth. Go use an M and be informed. An F6 is as different to an M6 as an F6 is a different to an F3.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both an F3 and a M3 and look at them as tools. Choice of tool depends on the job and ones experience with their tools.

Similar to copy paper and a copy machine, a quick copy vs. a many page document.

The quality of the tool is important and a separate issue, and camera collector vs. photographer, each will have different reasons for the choice made.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Couldn't be further from the truth. Go use an M and be informed. An F6 is as different to an M6 as an F6 is a different to an F3.
    hmmm... sorry, i'm confused... which part exactly is far from truth?

owned leica - check
    sold leica - check
    prefer nikon - check
    kept nikon - check
    focused sun rays burn holes in textiles - check
    not all Ms i have heard were more quiet than the F6 - check

ps. to be sure, looking at my pictures now i have no idea which one was taken with which camera... which could be a good thing, too... not so much tantalizing as notgiveadamnizing, really
    Last edited by Vilk; 01-23-2012 at 08:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want something that you can do zone focus, and is very quiet, get a Nikon F, and lock up the mirror. They're verrrryyyy quiet then.

Then again, the only rangefinder I use with any regularity is a Graflex...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    If your primary interest in the Leica is how it feels when you're fondling it, you probably won't be disappointed with the Leica, so you might as well buy it now.

HAHA
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    If your primary interest in the Leica is how it feels when you're fondling it, you probably won't be disappointed with the Leica, so you might as well buy it now.
    Same thing goes for women. The main difference is Leicas still look just as good as they age and they dont give you crap when you take another camera out for the day
    Last edited by Existing Light; 01-24-2012 at 12:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Tpyo
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    Same thing goes for women. The main difference is Leicas still look just as good as they age and they dont give you crap when you take another camera out for the day
    My M4 and at least one of its lenses have shed some of their Vulcanite and show many other signs of their 40+ years, but they still work perfectly. That is more satisfying than a pristine Leica sitting in a showcase. As for older women, Ben Franklin said it best:
    http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdo...cs/51-fra.html.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just got the iiig and took it for a ride. What should I say... it is good (in terms of handling. Like it better than my FE2. However no where near as comfortable as F6). No idea how my pictures are going to look and for now, and I don't care about that. With enough exp, I am sure I can make the pictures look as consistant as the Nikons for sure. Focusing is the biggest difference that is slowing me down. It is not about being hard, it is just that I am never used to this much manual focusing at this range. It takes a lot of practice to get perfect. I manual focus a lot on my Nikon 400mm f/5.6 and at that tele level it is extremly hard to get perfect focus. So I would need few more days before I can say anything for sure.

Also, there is the feeling of lack of confidence when I look through the rangefinder before I fire it. It is always tempting to reach for my F6.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin