Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,401   Online: 1066

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Point is though that unless some amount of overlap is done with the shutter opening there will be some amount of non-reducible latency inherent to only SLRs.

I'm surely not using a rangefinder for long exposures or other trick photography. I'm using it to be there and record exactly what I see with minimal delay. You can predict when to start prepping focus but you may not be able to predict when it's best to click until right at that specific moment.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Short "latency" (aka shutter lag) is a significant difference in (most) rangefinders compared to SLRs.
    Also, all SLRs are definitely not created equal for that.

Another advantage, coupled with the short lag, is that you can see exactly what you're capturing while the shutter is open, while in an SLR the scene is blacked out (the simplest example is that you can notice if the subject shut his/her eyes while the shutter was open).
    But details like that probably aren't important to "feature" junkies....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    You can get all that quietness in a $15 Agfa Silette/Solina. Ok, so the optical quality won't make you think Sumicron, .
    ...Or indeed with a Kodak Retina. I recently picked up a 1a with the Schneider lens for £20 and it delivers amazingly good results. I also have a Leica that cost me more than twenty times that sum, but pound for pound the Kodak is by far the better bang for your buck. Yes, the Leica is superbly engineered and is to be appreciated for that, but the Retina is no slouch.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're looking to get a range finder, and only Leica will do, that's fine, but otherwise looks at the Bessa models by Cosina Voigtlander, and the Zeiss Ikon. The Zeiss Ikon used is probably about the same price as an M3, but has a spec more like the M7.

The Bessa models don't have the build quality of the Ikon or Leica, but they are nice little cameras available at a good price.

I don't see why range finders are not good for long exposures, in fact sometimes they are better than SLRs because you can continue to watch the scene through the finder whilst the shutter is open, SLRs, you cannot.

I like an shoot range finders, but I don't buy into some of the arguments about them, you can get SLRs just as small like the Pentax MX, the noise difference is certainly noticeable, but unlikely to be an issue in most circumstances. For me, it's purely about feel, and also the M lenses. Not because M lenses are particularly amazing, but because they hold their value very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica is like a high end sports car, a SLR like the family sedan.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Leica is like a high end sports car, a SLR like the family sedan.
    This is not a good comparison for Leica. For all practical purpose, you can get more done with a family sedan than with a sports car. Here is US, most sports car (rear wheel drive) are not even useful in winter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, I was doubtful about this analogy, as I would describe a Leica as a perfect bicycle. No engine, as you need to feel at one with the instrument.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Yes, I was doubtful about this analogy, as I would describe a Leica as a perfect bicycle. No engine, as you need to feel at one with the instrument.
    +1

And like a bicycle, knowing how to use it properly makes all the difference....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Shutter latency"? Has anyone compared this to the reaction time of the meat computer operating the camera? If so, you'll have found that it isn't of much significance, except as a debating point. The mirror blackout is more significant, but, depending on which lens one is using, can be worked around by keeping the non-viewfinder eye open.

Shooter
    35mm
    So far been with the camera for about a week. This is what I find.

-> There is the advantage of weight as expected. So for carrying it around, it is very nice, better than F6.
    -> One other slight advantage vs F6 is that people are less focusing on me. Although this is not much issue for me.
    -> Also, hand holding at low speed in the alleys is better because it just feel so much light compared to my F6 with a 24-70

Noisewise, F6 is better. In silent mode it is very quite, quiter than the M6 I tried in the shop today.
    Vibration, F6 is still better. This is more has to do with the my VR lens than the camera itself. Even when low level holding, I get sharp pictures at about 15 fps.

However, what most effected me is the ergonomics. There is just no way Leica or any other SLR that I tried can compete with the F6, which is what really matters for me. The features of the camera simply just comes into fingers without the need to think about the camera. I also don't like how imbalanced the Leica is holding with one hand with a lens, especially when my hand got a little sweaty. (Yest. I had winter moisturizing cream, but the tem in afternoon shot up to 50s). . The guy in the shop showed me camera with grip attachment. But it just didn't work for me.

So in the end, I will not get the Leica. Just don't see the benefit outweighing the expense. Thanks for all of your inputs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin