Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,484   Online: 944

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Yes, I was doubtful about this analogy, as I would describe a Leica as a perfect bicycle. No engine, as you need to feel at one with the instrument.
    +1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been an interesting read for me, being in essentially the same boat (sort of...) In my case, I was given my late uncle's M3 SS with a 50 DR Summicron, after several rolls and using it as my sole film camera for a few weeks, it just doesn't jive with my shooting style. The M3 needs a CLA, the slow speed escapement isn't working, but while the images I've shot are exposed well (between 1/30 and 1/1000, of course), and sharper than I'm used to, the "rangefinder zen" hasn't happened for me.

So off to Youxin for a CLA and I'll likely sell the outfit off.

Even with the cost issue off the table, sometimes you just don't fit with the rangefinder concept.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    It's been an interesting read for me, being in essentially the same boat (sort of...) In my case, I was given my late uncle's M3 SS with a 50 DR Summicron, after several rolls and using it as my sole film camera for a few weeks, it just doesn't jive with my shooting style. The M3 needs a CLA, the slow speed escapement isn't working, but while the images I've shot are exposed well (between 1/30 and 1/1000, of course), and sharper than I'm used to, the "rangefinder zen" hasn't happened for me.

So off to Youxin for a CLA and I'll likely sell the outfit off.

Even with the cost issue off the table, sometimes you just don't fit with the rangefinder concept.

erie
    No! Don't be hasty! As I pointed out in an earlier post - and others here would doubtless agree - getting familiar and comfortable with a rangefinder takes time. This is, I would argue, especially the case if one is, or has been, an SLR shooter. By all means do the CLA, then get some Tri-X/HP-5 and get out and do some more shooting with the little gem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a different perspective and shooting style that takes some time to get used to; take some time before cutting your losses.

It may sound strange but the camera design I've always felt most comfortable with is the TLR but, I can as easily do slr, rangefinder and view. But then again I also prefer the Alpa and Exacta configurations to other slr layouts. Only takes practice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it is perhaps ones preference to one style. And it might change over time also. In my case it didn't work out that much better than what I thought would be in terms of the holding feel of the camera. That was all. Other than that, RFs are perfect. I might get one later (perhaps few years later) just for the kicks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera is just a tool used to take a pictsure, much like a hammer is a tool to drive a nail. The more tools you have that you know how to use, the more versitle you become. It is a plus to have a tool that does not need a battery to work. Oh well, to each their own.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have plenty of non-battery dependent cameras, my preferred format leans towards 8x10 LF at the moment.

I've comfotably shot with 35mm and MF SLR's, Rollei TLRs and numerous LF cameras. I can see the potential, but my work doesn't take advantage of it's strengths. In fact I rarely shoot much smaller than 6x6 anymore, leaving the 35mm cameras to my wife. I'm getting into a serious "decluttering" mode as camera equipment has taken over my workspace, and a little extra $$$ means a lot to me, now being a full time student as well.

I'm sure had I spent the last 35 years shooting with a rangefinder, it would be as comfortable as an SLR to me. It needs a CLA anyway, I'll decide after it gets returned.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeshmravi View Post
    So far been with the camera for about a week. This is what I find.

-> There is the advantage of weight as expected. So for carrying it around, it is very nice, better than F6.
    -> One other slight advantage vs F6 is that people are less focusing on me. Although this is not much issue for me.
    -> Also, hand holding at low speed in the alleys is better because it just feel so much light compared to my F6 with a 24-70

Noisewise, F6 is better. In silent mode it is very quite, quiter than the M6 I tried in the shop today.
    Vibration, F6 is still better. This is more has to do with the my VR lens than the camera itself. Even when low level holding, I get sharp pictures at about 15 fps.

However, what most effected me is the ergonomics. There is just no way Leica or any other SLR that I tried can compete with the F6, which is what really matters for me. The features of the camera simply just comes into fingers without the need to think about the camera. I also don't like how imbalanced the Leica is holding with one hand with a lens, especially when my hand got a little sweaty. (Yest. I had winter moisturizing cream, but the tem in afternoon shot up to 50s). . The guy in the shop showed me camera with grip attachment. But it just didn't work for me.

So in the end, I will not get the Leica. Just don't see the benefit outweighing the expense. Thanks for all of your inputs.
    Thanks for sharing your experience! This really helps me put things in perspective! Do you have large hands by chance? I find I need bigger SLR bodies just to get a better grip!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience! This really helps me put things in perspective! Do you have large hands by chance? I find I need bigger SLR bodies just to get a better grip!
    No, I have a small/average hand size. I am 5'6 and an lean. So an average hand size for that height. If I had a large hand, I will never be able to work with the RF, again because of the ergonomics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last night my son and I were having a discussion as to his photography so as it is time to start thinning out as my mobility reduces. We brought up a number of cameras and started looking at what he might want. At the end of the discussion he made an observation that I was fondling my Leica and Rolleiflex almost sexually (his words) while the others including the Bronica got little attention. Only other camera to get any real attention was the Minox C that is retired.

After putting everything away I thought about the issues of equipment vesitility, quality, etc. verus pleasure and enjoyment and relialized that though the results from the Bronica are equal to the Rolleiflex and Leica for my shooting preferences, it was just a tool while the others involved a moment of pleasure the Bronica did not, an emotional connection that was showing in some of the transparencies we looked at; all taken about the same time, I was shooting mf transparencies at the time.

In hindsight, if you find the Leica emotionally involving even if you question whether you are good enough to match its ability while you think of your other cameras a tools of the trade, go for the Leica. It may or may not make you a better photographer but, the experience may be more involving and gratifying. Go to the store, grab an me with the 50 Summicron, rub it, feel it against your cheek, look through the finder, slowly advance the film to feel how smooth the system works and slowly press the shutter release button. If it puts a smile on your face and your first thought is something like your camera now feels somewhat clunky or not as refined, it just maybe you are a candidate to adopt a Leica.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin