Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,999   Online: 1170

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question about shutter on my Canon 7

I recently got a nice Canon 7 and I am loving it. But there is one thing about the shutter when I fire it. From speeds of 1/1000 to 1/60 they sound fine, but when I use the lower speeds 1/30-1 sec, its like there is an additional sound like a spring bouncing. Is this normal? I have developed 2 rolls of test films that I have used with it and they were all perfect, no pinholes etc., but I am worried about this weird sound. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    I recently got a nice Canon 7 and I am loving it. But there is one thing about the shutter when I fire it. From speeds of 1/1000 to 1/60 they sound fine, but when I use the lower speeds 1/30-1 sec, its like there is an additional sound like a spring bouncing. Is this normal? I have developed 2 rolls of test films that I have used with it and they were all perfect, no pinholes etc., but I am worried about this weird sound. Any thoughts?
    On speeds slower than 1/60 the shutter, which is 2 pieces opens, waits a time, whatever you set, then the part that closes snaps closed. That timing device is mechanical, it's a set of escapement gears and you're probably hearing the whine of gears which is delaying the second part of the shutter. Congrats on the 7. Pretty cameras. I've got one with an .95 50mm on it, and it never gets used. My bad.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, looks like I don't have to worry. It is pretty, nice to handle too (not as heavy as I thought it would be). That is one heck of a chunk of glass, I'll have a look on pictures made by that lens. Thank you!

Shooter
    35mm
    The 7 is a very good and modern rangefinder. Some cameras make these slightly whirry sounds, even Leica M's, and yet function well. If the speeds are about right and the shutter is not tapering, you will be fine. A CLA on the 7 is not a big deal however (and one should not pay more than $100) if you ever want to really fine tune it. The curtains are metal, so one does not need to worry about the expense of replacing them as with many other rangefinders from a slightly earlier time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you are hearing is the timing escapement of the mechanical shutter. Not to worry. Kinda like hearing the tappets in an old Ford flathead.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin