Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,614   Online: 797

Shooter
    35mm

Retina IIIs: 35mm/f2.8

Is this lens any good?

I'm interested in a Retina IIIs with the 35mm/f2.8 lens because it shouldn't cost so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I liked it....
    (The Schneider Curtagon)

I think Rodenstock also made 2 35mm lenses for the camera: I tried the 35mm 4.0 and wasn't impressed.

I liked my Retina IIIS. Drawbacks were: not as ergonomic as a Leica, limited to 28mm widest and the 85mm (Schneider) lens was unimpressive.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is this the rangefinder camera which takes the same lenses as the Retina Reflex?

If so, I can't comment on the 35mm lens but if it's as good as the Schneider 50mm f1.9, it should be good.

I have a couple of working Retina Reflex IIIs and would like a 35mm to go with the 50mm and 135mm I already have.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Is this the rangefinder camera which takes the same lenses as the Retina Reflex?

If so, I can't comment on the 35mm lens but if it's as good as the Schneider 50mm f1.9, it should be good.

I have a couple of working Retina Reflex IIIs and would like a 35mm to go with the 50mm and 135mm I already have.

Steve.
    BTW: Not all the Retina Reflex lens samples will couple with the IIIS rangefinder. Look for a slot at the back of the lens with a small machined brass ramp inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35mm Curtagon is good, but not great. A bit soft at wider apertures, but the colour rendition is excellent in keeping with other Schneiders. Agree that the Xenon is excellent, as is the Rodenstock Xsarex. Beautiful camera to use and look at though, and agree that the Tele-Arton could be better, not so much the image quality, but the thing doesn't focus near close enough for a portrait lens.
    I think that the 28mm Curtagon is a better lens, slow at F4, but great colour.
    I had my Tele-Arton adapted to my Bessamatic because I couldn't find a 90mm for it. BTW, the 35mm Skoparex from the Bessamatic is a superb lens and I think that they can be fitted to the Retinas quite easily.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Modifying Bessamatic and Retina lenses to work on each others bodies: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-150.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    The 35mm Curtagon is good, but not great. A bit soft at wider apertures, but the colour rendition is excellent in keeping with other Schneiders. Agree that the Xenon is excellent, as is the Rodenstock Xsarex. Beautiful camera to use and look at though, and agree that the Tele-Arton could be better, not so much the image quality, but the thing doesn't focus near close enough for a portrait lens.
    I think that the 28mm Curtagon is a better lens, slow at F4, but great colour.
    I had my Tele-Arton adapted to my Bessamatic because I couldn't find a 90mm for it. BTW, the 35mm Skoparex from the Bessamatic is a superb lens and I think that they can be fitted to the Retinas quite easily.
    The Voigtländer 90mm is one of the sharpest I've ever used (though most 85-105mm lenses tend to be very very good), only a bit prone to flare. Agree about the 35mm Skoparex being very sharp, but also very flare-prone.

I had a lot of fun playing with the Retina Reflex, Retina IIIS and Bessamatic, but found other cameras to be more effective photographic tools. Not because of "features", but mainly ergonomics, poor close focusing distances because of their mount (the Retina 200mm could come as close as 8 metres, the Voigtländer 350, IIRC, 20 metres!), in some cases excess flare, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    I had a lot of fun playing with the Retina Reflex, Retina IIIS and Bessamatic, but found other cameras to be more effective photographic tools. Not because of "features", but mainly ergonomics, poor close focusing distances because of their mount.

That's understandable. I like mine because I'm strange. I sometimes like to be seem with odd, quirky equipment!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I found the Retina IIIS to be a very usable camera. The Retina Reflex S, III and IV were somewhat heavy cameras.

For the price, it's a very good camera. The original Reflex, S, III and IV are more complicated because of the mirror mechanism. Plus, the viewing system almost always needs a thorough cleaning, and is more complicated to disassemble.

Like the Retina IIIS, don't force the film advance and if you're buying one, make sure the film advance works correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Plus, the viewing system almost always needs a thorough cleaning...
    Even after you have just cleaned it!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin