Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,583   Online: 1132

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Sammy Davis, Jr. and his Nikon SP

Last month, I saw this 8x10 photo framed and behind glass hanging in a fast food restaurant in Las Vegas. It was in an awkward spot, so I had difficulty photographing it without having a lot of visible reflections.

I think it's a Nikon SP with a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor that Sammy Davis, Jr. is using. He's photographing Eddie Fisher and his new (slightly used, but still in fine condition) bride, Elizabeth Taylor.

Sammy, Jerry Lewis, Roddy McDowall, and Dennis Hopper were pretty good actors/photographers from that era.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small Sammy Davis, Jr.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    One wonders if there was much barrel distortion on her barrels.... Also this was before she choked on a chicken and had an emergency tracheostomy so you can see her neck.
    David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Maybe I'm mis-seeing this, but it looks like he's holding a cigarette between his shutter finger and middle finger even as he takes the shot. When you're cool, you're cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep the masters could smoke and shoot and change flash bulbs, and load plates in their sleep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I remember when Sammy, Frank, and the other 'Rat Pack' members were interested in photography. It seems they all bought Nikons and did their thing. Then they went on to other interests. It was a boost to photography though. When famous people do something, the general public gets interested.
    Too bad we don't see more of this today.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sammy also used a Rolleiflex quite a bit. He was no slouch as a photographer, and had unique access to some of the biggest celebrities of the day in unguarded moments. Burt Boyar did a wonderful book a few years ago featuring many of his photographs.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Sammy also used a Rolleiflex quite a bit. He was no slouch as a photographer, and had unique access to some of the biggest celebrities of the day in unguarded moments. Burt Boyar did a wonderful book a few years ago featuring many of his photographs.
    Thats the thing. Of course their photos are going to be very interesting, considering the access they have and the friends they keep.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ring-a-ding-ding

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember seeing shots of The Beatles using Pentax Spotmatics on their 1964 tour of the U.S. I wonder if sales jumped after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin