Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,792   Online: 1098

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I think I'll opt for another IIIc or maybe a IIIC. I handled a IIIC once. From my recollection the viewfinder magnification was noticeably larger and brighter, my but the patch was worse... usable but definitely inferior to my IIIc (maybe a bad sample?). I liked the viewfinder but I wasn't so sure if it's worth double the price. However, the Kodak Retina is my favorite 35mm camera so I now think that it is!

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I must update to the newer folding one from my 1936 Retina 119 to get the RF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto111018d932.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	46345

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Thanks! I think I'll opt for another IIIc or maybe a IIIC. I handled a IIIC once. From my recollection the viewfinder magnification was noticeably larger and brighter, my but the patch was worse... usable but definitely inferior to my IIIc (maybe a bad sample?). I liked the viewfinder but I wasn't so sure if it's worth double the price. However, the Kodak Retina is my favorite 35mm camera so I now think that it is!
    The IIIC has a far better patch than the IIIc so yours must have been defective..

Another fine Retina with the large view-rangefinder is the IIIS. It is a rigid front rangefinder that uses lens from 28mm - 135mm and unlike the IIc/C, IIIc/C does not require transferring focus distance to the wide or tele scale plus each lens will automatically change the brightline focal length scale in the viewfinder..

Below is my IIIS with 50mm f/2.8 lens.. I have a 50mm f/1.9 Retina-Xenon on the way...

Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, the IIIS is a great camera. I use the 28mm most of the time, and have a 50mm 2.8 and the 135mm f4. I can't really get on with the 135mm - the focus/viewfinder area is just too small. I had mine a while and then the cord broke, so it went on its holidays to Chris Sherlock in NZ, and came back CLAd and fixed. I also have a IIc which sees action from time to time. I thought this one was going to have to go on its hols too, as the shutter kept sticking, but I cleaned it out with spray alcohol and then lubed it with watch oil, and so far its behaving.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Having an elderly one I too desire the IIa

Name:	jbaphoto111018d932.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	47712

The lens is the Retina-Xenar, uncoated, good by realistic standards, but not by current ones - The tiny squinty viewfinder is surprisingly good

It is the prettiest camera I have and very tiny, so I love it for snapshots except it attracts "Oh wow" attention, which my Vitessa or Nikon F do not

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an old Retina 1 which needs some TLC and some recovering... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3215610814_0b91779d7e_o.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	47714
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Retina 118

Name:	Retina-118-1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	47715

I have used this little guy a fair amount.

Name:	White-Mus-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	47716

Indoor picture handheld 1/10 sec about f3.5
    Robert bateman at the Whyte Museum in Banff Alberta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin