Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,279   Online: 947

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    but you still don't have control over DOF
    Couldn't you do this by selecting the correct f-stop for your needs, then adjust the ISO for what you need exposure-wise?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Couldn't you do this by selecting the correct f-stop for your needs, then adjust the ISO for what you need exposure-wise?
    Unfortunately the XA2 does not allow aperture selection like the original XA. The only control you have is ISO selection.

...but I don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. This camera was a gift from Steve Smith, and delivers great pictures.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the XA is an amazing camera -- shot b/w all through italy with one a few years ago and -- god help me -- the prints are as good as anything shot with a Leica, and the camera is the fastest to use you will find -- pre-select an f-stop that handles a wide range of situations with a decent shutter speed, focus and shoot, that's it. The shutter is vibration free.

being mostly plastic you will get wear in the film advance, which can mean the shutter won't fire reliably -- my original one that i found for $10 at a yard sale 15 years ago or so is finally showing some aging issues, but I've got two more I found in thrift stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this talk about the XA has me feeling quilty about mine languishing in the back of my stash cabinet. One of the images I have hanging in my home is a 16 X 20 done with my XA with consumer film, scanned and printed in a non-analog manner. Must get the XA out and put it in my pocket. I'm thinking Ilford HP-5 because that is what I have plenty of and use in my OM cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I absolutely adore my XA2. I take it with me on my bike rides, up in the mountains, out in the desert, in the city... it's so small and sturdy that I really don't have an excuse NOT to take it with me. And with the A11, it's great for indoor parties as well

Plus, if I tell my wife I'm shooting XP2 in my XA2, I'm guaranteed an eye-roll

That said, I would love to pick up another - probably the XA, for the focus and aperture control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my XA lot but get similar results from my Stylus Epic too. I wonder how different the lens are if at all. Other similar cameras I've used and really like are the Vivitar 35EM and 35EE.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    All this talk about the XA has me feeling quilty about mine languishing in the back of my stash cabinet.
    Me too. I bought one last year at Goodwill for $5 and have never used it. Just plain old gear snobbery. It's coming out this weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had one for years, though I am in the group who leaves it in a drawer lately. I find it hard to focus with glasses and so put a small square of black tape on the rangefinder. That helped quite a bit. I took the shot below in London by placing the camera on a low wall. Shot is about 10 seconds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	night time caller.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	46738

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the XA and about the biggest complain is the flash capability. I can't use any other flash besides the A11 and A16 which I do have and I can't use any aperture I want just 1 aperture is available when using flash.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I like the XA and about the biggest complain is the flash capability. I can't use any other flash besides the A11 and A16 which I do have and I can't use any aperture I want just 1 aperture is available when using flash.
    Well certainly design sacrifices had to be made with such a camera.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin