Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,543   Online: 1034

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Over the years I acquired a big collection of photos of floors, ceilings and the sky courtesy of all my photographer friends that wanted to hold the camera. Before I could warn them about the very sensitive shutter release - click - another floor picture.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Damn you guys An old Aussie friend of mine, shipped me one as a gift over a year ago and I've never gotten around to using it. This thread got me to burn my first roll through it today. Sure is a cutie to just put in the pocket and go. We shall see...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus XA secret. Reprinted by permission (C) F.G. Kaye

Reprinted by permission (C) F.G. Kaye

" Do you want to know a secret ?" " Do you promise not to tell ?"

I'm sorry I couldn't resist.
    This trick works best if you are using the A16 flash, but it would work on the A11, also.

We know that once the flash is " popped-up ", that it will fire, no matter, where the f-stop
    scale is set.
    We also, know that since the camera uses a leaf shutter, it will synch at any shutter speed.
    We finally know,that while the cameras f-stops are adjustable in
    1/3rds of a stop,the flash only has ISO 100 & ISO 400 settings.

Finally, if you set the f-stop to f 5.6, ( indicated in orange ) & the orange - red distance
    # on the focus dial, ( the actual # is different, if your camera is meters, or feet ).
    Then where ever you point the camera, the image will be sharp, because the camera is
    set to hyperfocal focus & the rangefinder, does not have to be used.

Because of the nature of the Olympus XA, ALL flash exposures are taken at f 3.5 - 4.0
    You can determine this for yourself, by setting the aperture at f 4.0 & looking at it.
    Then set the aperture to flash & take a look at it. They look almost the same.

These days I shoot neg film & get it scanned. It's cheaper than scanning chromes.
    I overexpose ALL neg film by 1 stop, under ALL circumstances. This guarantees a
    good exposure.

Now here is the secret I promised you. There is only 1 stop difference between f 4.0 &
    f 5.6.

1. If I were to shoot ISO 160 - 200, ( rated ), film, like Portra, or NPS, or NPC,
    I would set the camera at ISO 100.

2. Set the flash to ISO 100. " Pop-up " the flash.

3. Set the f-stop to f 5.6 & set the focusing ring to the orange - red focusing distance.

The camera is now set for a perfect 1 - 1 1/2 stops flash fill, which can be used at ALL
    shutter speeds. Also, because the camera is set for a hyperfocal focus, ( that's what this is ),
    all of your images will be sharp, without rangefinder focusing.
    Thus the camera works like a point & shoot.

This can be refined for other ISO's or if you want less flash, set the camera ISO, to 80

Finally, a word to the wise about the flash, since the twisting of the body to the flash,
    can make the flash activate, ( even in a case ), take the AA batteries out of the flash,
    when the camera is not in use, this will save you on dead batteries. The only hue flaw
    in the camera's design, that cannot be compensated for, unlike learning about the shutter
    button.

Reprinted by permission (C) F.G. Kaye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Use your sunglasses for a filter when necessary, they are prone to flare.
    Driving home from the grocery at the magic hour today, saw a lovely shadow/contrast scene that I couldn't pass up, no ND filter what to do? I remembered MacGyver's...errr Rick's sunglass-filter-change-up, got the shot! Thanks Rick, hope you pick one up again.

Max can't wait to see what you yield, sure it will be nothing short of brilliant!
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My XA arrived yesterday; what a little jewel! :-)

Now to find time to test . . .
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    35mm
    Good friend of mine had one of these back in 1980. This thread has inspired me to get my own. Have an XA and an XA2 coming from Ebay. Nice and cheap little cameras. I have a lot of slides that my friend took on a cross-country backpacking trip that we participated in - she got a lot of great shots with it.

Looking forward to playing with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Mike, was that Gord from International, down on Church?
    No, Stan, from International, on the Queensway out near Royal York in Etobicoke. Gord (McArthur?) was Toronto Camera Repair, as I recall.

Stan was a little Russian guy, whos shop was crammed with gear, priced as it was before analog slid in price. Neat to see it though.
    There were always a few of his countrymen in there talking to him, and smoking like chimneys.

He was trying to close down, and do camera repairs from home. I think he still had the shop though when he got ill before passing. Hours got really limited near the end.

A bunch of PHSC folks knew him, from rehabbing their old cameras over the years, I presume.

They helped clear out the shop of stuff Stan was willing to see moved off to thier spring auction. Some of his best stuff though, he would not put up for auctiion.

Then he died, the shop rent did not get paid, and the sherriff came in and tossed all of the remaining contents of the shop into a dumpster, was the way I seem to remember it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Over the years I acquired a big collection of photos of floors, ceilings and the sky courtesy of all my photographer friends that wanted to hold the camera. Before I could warn them about the very sensitive shutter release - click - another floor picture.
    I have a collection of these myself. Sadly, quite a few taken by yours truly.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Over the years I acquired a big collection of photos of floors, ceilings and the sky courtesy of all my photographer friends that wanted to hold the camera.
    That's not exclusive to the XA. I got a nice shot of my feet and one of the sky when photographing a friend's wedding with my RB67.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    No, Stan, from International, on the Queensway out near Royal York in Etobicoke. Gord (McArthur?) was Toronto Camera Repair, as I recall.

Stan was a little Russian guy, whos shop was crammed with gear, priced as it was before analog slid in price. Neat to see it though.
    There were always a few of his countrymen in there talking to him, and smoking like chimneys.

He was trying to close down, and do camera repairs from home. I think he still had the shop though when he got ill before passing. Hours got really limited near the end.
    Stan is gone too? That is too bad. I never dealt with him, but I spoke with him on the phone a few times. I often wondered what happened to Gord's "stock". He always seemed to have what I needed.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin