Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,311   Online: 1128

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wide open?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have seen that a lot too lately, I bought a lens for $200ish 3 years ago, it is now almost $400! I should'a bought 100 of em...
    Andy

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, but there are other lenses which are just as good as the 50/1.2 Ai-S, I'm just not going to say what they are. ;-)

Even then, "good" is entirely relative. One can't, and probably shouldn't, shoot at 1.2 every single exposure.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like every single lens I own wide open, particularly the 50mm Summitar f/2, 55mm f/2 Pentax, and the 80mm f/2.8 Planar for the Hasselblad. No need for anything better.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Yes, one lens is very expensive (especially new).
    But I don't understand what, if anything, the images are supposed to prove: very fast lenses used practically as macros (one being a rangefinder lens!), shown as small jpg images...
    At that size you could almost show "sharp" results from a pinhole lens!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is a perfectly fine lens both wide-open and not.

IMO, photographers who only buy lenses so they can shoot them wide-open 100% of the time are dependent on that "look" - and that look won't last if there isn't something deeper than that.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Pentax SMC 50/1.4 is a perfectly fine lens both wide-open and not.

IMO, photographers who only buy lenses so they can shoot them wide-open 100% of the time are dependent on that "look" - and that look won't last if there isn't something deeper than that.
    I think it's about choosing the aperture that's right for the picture. I happen to like a 25mm aperture for portraits, for example. 35mm lens at f/1.4 or 50mm lens at f/2.
    Then if I'm shooting landscape I like more depth of field. So it depends.

Shooter
    35mm
    So after much deliberation I decided to go and replace my failing Nikon 50mm with a Zeiss ZF2 equivalent.
    I thought a rangefinder would do for me but the cost of starting a whole new system was going to be out of my budget. I was thinking Bessa's but with Canada not having a supplier it would be tough to get any much needed service.

That and I have some pretty good Nikon gear.
    After some thinking, I think by wide open, I'm looking for a lens that can go to F2 or F1.4 and provide a very distinct 3d effect. So resolution is not going to be a big deal for me as long as the images don't come out too soft or lacking a ton contrast.

I have my eye on either the Zeiss Makro Planar 50mm f2 or the Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4. Hmmm...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    I have my eye on either the Zeiss Makro Planar 50mm f2 or the Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4. Hmmm...
    There is endless debate on the virtues of both these over on fredmiranda. You may want to peruse the info there.

I think I'd go with the makro planar f/2 but I already have the C/Y planar in 1.4 and several 1.4 Nikkors also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's about the light and the subject. No lens will make up for that. There is no magic bullet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It's about the light and the subject. No lens will make up for that. There is no magic bullet.
    I agree with this. Often I get very tired of the 'bokeh' debate, and just want to shake folks so they could stop obsessing over it so much. Just show the damned picture. And, I may have submitted myself to the lion's den...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin