Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,409   Online: 771

Shooter
    Multi Format

Argus C3 Repair & Focusing Question

Does anyone know if the the lens barrel indexing screw has to be adjusted in any special fashion or distance along the barrel from the gear base?

Or does it just only screw into the lens barrel slot there with no special adjusting?

I had an idler gear cap screw portion break inside the threaded bearing or bushing that holds the cap there and I had to use a very small drill and an extractor to get it out. Not fun, but no other injuries to the camera were sustained in the process.

This part of the camera has since been replaced. The rangefinding dial, idler gear, and toothed base of the lens barrel works okay now, but is just a little tough to turn.

The barrel portion of the lens is sitting a smidge above the replacement idler cap at infinity and about 5mm or 3/16" above the toothed base of the lens barrel at the 3 foot setting.

Do I need to do any special adjusting to the lens barrel beyond just aligning the rangefinder adjustment screws at this point?

I forgot to mention this particular C3 was manufactured in early to mid 1948.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I am aware, the screw just rides in the slot. The spacing that you describe sounds about right. You could put a piece of the frosted Scotch tape across the film plane and check focus with the back open. The internal focus helix has about six parallel threads, so there are some wrong ways to put it together.

There are some bits of C3 repair information at the Argus Collectors Group website.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much DWThomas.

It is good to know I got put back in there just about right.

Using that drill and screw extractor was about as fun as self-dentistry would be. I was in fear that I might drill too far on something and totally ruin some other part of the camera.

So, I guess all I have to do now is fine tune it by using a frosted window at the back across the film plain and tune the rangefinder screws and I am good to go.

I appreciate your help.

I think my trouble with the idler gear cap started a while back, after switching the lenses to a Soligor and then switching back to the stock Cintar lens.

I should have been paying more attention to how the lenses were seating in the camera body. I feel pretty dumb for doing it, but it was worth fixing the camera.

When I got the Soligor Telephoto lens it looked good on the camera, but I did get any instructions or a clipping viewfinder with it; do you or anyone else have any idea what would be the best way focus it, and any other things about it I might need to know?
    Last edited by Clocker; 02-25-2012 at 01:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Poor written communications due to a public education

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Dave is correct about checking the focus. I cut a piece of glass and frosted it just for this purpose. Make sure this sits on the inner rails, the outer ones guide the film. Argus made a viewfinder that clipped into the flash shoe. This has the three lens settings, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm, and the range in feet. Your lens should focus with the rangefinder. I have the C33, C4, and C44, Steven.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin