Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,061   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Calling Ralph Lambrecht! ;-)

With the modern, fine grained films, a remarkable amount of detail can be recorded.

http://www.thermojetstove.com/Tonality/
    I'd like to believe this, but it seems to fly in the face of every other discussion about true resolution of 35mm film that I've ever read, even our own Ralph Lambrecht in his book Way Beyond Monochrome, (which I love by the way if you're reading this Ralph.)

I would agree on the issues of color capture and bayer, but it isn't as simple a conversion (100 to 400) as your note suggests. For one thing, luminance is captured at every pixel, but as you state, color is interpolated across pixels. This does create problems in certain cases (those small very red berries might be hard to capture cleanly in the d* world, and might get interpolated away color-wise, but their luminance would be captured I believe).

Not to defend that, or belabor a d* discussion, but I think I'd get slapped down pretty hard trying to claim that my Oly 35RD was equivalent to a 400 megapixel d* camera, or even 100 mp.

Ralph if you are reading, any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm
    While I appreciate your scepticism, both the scan and the microphotograph show the same detail. The point to the posting is to illustrate subtle texture that is recorded in the image. So it depends on what you are looking for. There is one answer if you're looking for straight lines, and another answer if you're looking for smooth, continuous texture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin