Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,408   Online: 971

Shooter
    Multi Format

Maniya 7ii acting up

Hi,
    I am close to a hard attack. I was out and about with my Mamiya today and all of a sudden my shutter speeds are all whacked up. Either it will not fire at all, or will stay open for 4sec regardless of the setting and regardless of the lens. Anyone experienced an oddity like that before? Everything else seems to be fine. The meter works properly, even the self timer works, but the shutter speed goes for 4 seconds regardless. Did the electronics in my camera just die? Help !!!

Dennis
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi there,

As the shutter is in the lens and you stated it is happening with all your lenses this would suggest that it is a problem with the camera's electronics.

Another potential problem could be the battery. The only problem that I have had with my Mamiya 7 in the past 11 years of use was a couple of years ago when I put a new (unused and recently bought) battery in and the meter (which I don't actually use) worked intermittently. I checked the camera over thoroughly and couldn't find any obvious problem other than the idea that the battery was defunct. I went to a local electrical shop to get a new battery and a few spares and found that with about half of the batteries the problem was still present. In the end I sorted out 6 batteries that worked correctly and bought them and have not had any problems since. The technician in the shop thought that the likely problem was that the camera was intolerant, or particularly sensitive, to the slight variations that you get with mass-produced batteries.

Therefore, if it is not a battery issue, you need to get a professional repairer to check the camera's electronics out.

Best of luck,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks David,

I had that battery issue about a year ago as well. I bought 10 batteries and the first 3 I tried didn't work at all. I tried two different batteries just now and the camera behavior was the same. I guess I will have to look for a good camera repair shop then ... sigh ....

Thanks again
    Dennis
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin