Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1206

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kossi008 View Post
    I am positive that (if they made pinholes) a Zeiss pinhole would be NO match for a true Leica pinhole. And I'm prepared to back this up with about three paragraphs about how the Leica laser used to cut the pinhole has better mode stabilization etc. Just you go and tempt me...
    Don't forget to throw in a few paragraphs on the polarisation, pulse rate, and the fact that Leitz pinholes are cut the same direction as the image forming light will travel. Plus, Leitz uses a special alloy (proprietary secret) to cut the holes in, so no other pinhole can ever equal it.

What I'd really like to read, is a dissertation by a competent psychologist/photographer/physicist on just where this particular fixed delusion comes from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to an article in Wired magazine that somebody linked in another thread, if we really cared about resolution we'd still be doing Daguerrotypes. So I'd wait for the first among CV or Leitz or Zeiss to add Daguerrotype functionality, and then buy that one! We must keep moving forward after all!

--nosmok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nosmok View Post
    According to an article in Wired magazine that somebody linked in another thread, if we really cared about resolution we'd still be doing Daguerrotypes. So I'd wait for the first among CV or Leitz or Zeiss to add Daguerrotype functionality, and then buy that one! We must keep moving forward after all!

--nosmok
    It figures, that Wired would consider Daguerreotypes to be the ultimate in resolution. A wee bit of thought will show the fallacy.

Wired isn't about technology, it's about shiny things for the techno-magpies.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I dunno, wetplates seem to have an incredible resolution. I couldn't image any film/sensor beating even a 6x6.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found the article!

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/0...panorama/all/1

Pretty astonishing. But then, if you consider the arc of 19th century photography, most of the images I can remember use a lot of pictorialist softening (soft focus, veils over the lens, etc.), which suggests that even at that point people thought that their (mostly very large negatives) had an intolerable amount of detail if just shot "as is". All this talk of various 35mm cameras being better than others just reminds me that a competent 60 year old MF camera will still blow any 35 out of the water (dons asbestos suit). And I'm sure LF users can say the same thing.

--nosmok

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all who have replied.

To the Mods: Any time you want to lock this thread is OK by me. I'm the OP.

With best regards.

Stephen

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin