Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,405   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    Lens budget is ~$1100.00.

With best regards,

Stephen
    I am not up with the prices of Leica lens however, I would think you could find a decent Leica lens for your budget. If you buy anything else, you may end up always thinking, I wonder if I should of.........

Good Luck. Don't forget to save some money for film.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    Lens budget is ~$1100.00.

With best regards,

Stephen
    Try to find an older pre-ASPH summicron.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used 50mm Summicron and Summitar lenses. Honestly, the lens is not the limitation to how my pictures turn out, and in my prints I don't really wonder which is which. That's 16x20 prints.

I also use Voigtlander Nokton lenses, in 35mm and 50mm, and am just as happy with those prints as I am with the Leica glass. They are not as well built, so probably will not last you as long. But, they are damned fine lenses, and it's a good lens to tie you over until you can afford your dream Leica lens. A 50mm Nokton draws a stunningly beautiful picture for you, and within your budget you could find two used lenses, like a 35mm and a 50mm, which compliment each other nicely in different shooting situations.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No lens can compete with an Leitz glass , if you buy a zeiss lens on to Leica , you will not be a Leica owner. If you cant decide what to do with Leica problem , you are not a Leicaphile and you dont deserve that camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The body holds film and lens and opens and closes the lgiht hitting the film. The lens determines the quality of the negative/transparency provided the film is flat, the shutter accurate and the lens mount parellel to the film; most bodies, even the lower end do a decent job in doing their job. Many lenses are good but more important in the process than the body in delivering the quality.

I am not promoting either Leica or Zeiss glass. Both companies have had good to excellent. Look for the glass that you appreciate and like and then make a decision. Remember if on a budget, there is also the Leica CL that can use the Leica and Zeiss M mount and is 1st rate as a user body at a bargain price compared to an equiv. M body. I use the CL and after 20 years would not upgrade to a M body in lieu of buying a lens to use with it. Also, the is the Minolta CLE that is where Leica probably would have gone if it continued development of the CL.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    1960's lenses are excellent and can get you into the Leica world at a reasonable price.

I owned a 60's 50mm Summicron for 11 years and believe me it was a fine lens...
    but not as good as the 2008 Summilux ASPH that now goes with my M3

And now for the question you didn't ask : are you sure you can adapt to the rangefinder system? I did in 5 minutes but there are some people (incl. pros) who never could and who went back to SLR's...
    Last edited by Pat Erson; 03-18-2012 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you buy lens that is not Leitz - you will always wonder "how would it be if I have Leitz lens..."
    So you should go for the leica lens - and then you know - this is it, now my limitation is for sure just me .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    No lens can compete with an Leitz glass , if you buy a zeiss lens on to Leica , you will not be a Leica owner. If you cant decide what to do with Leica problem , you are not a Leicaphile and you dont deserve that camera.
    Snob.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anyone can tell the difference between a image taken on Leica glass vs and image taken on Zeiss glass they are more psychic than observant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin