Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,915   Online: 1169

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If anyone can tell the difference between a image taken on Leica glass vs and image taken on Zeiss glass they are more psychic than observant.
    no

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the lenses. Not to get into which is "better", but lenses do have their own looks, some more than others. This can be observed with less than supernatural powers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mustafa is obviously a man of strong opinion. That's fine, but one needs to keep in mind that the Leica "look" was, often as not, the result of carefully calibrated lens errors and areas of focus. I have no clue if modern lenses made by Leitz still have those considerations built-in, but I do know that the differences between all fine lenses made today are minimal, and i say this as a user of leica glass exclusively (except for the pinhole stuff, of course).

You have to find the leica (or whatever) body that does what you want it to do -- this is where the Leica rangefinder is supreme for street shooting and journalistic purposes -- and then put the best glass on it you can afford.

But you also have to keep in mind that good photography is 5 percent equipment and 95 percent you. A really good photographer using an old box camera will do better than a bad photographer with a Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonder if this thread will go on for at least 7 pages or more.

Personally I own 1 VC lens a 50mm f1.5 ltm w an M adapter, one Zeiss 21mm f2.8 and I enjoy them as much as my fathers LTM lenses and the 1970s M mount Leitzs. Yes one can see a difference, but a simple clean M2 with a 35mm elmar makes a winning combination.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Check out the lower priced Canon LTM lenses if you want a vintage look. Or Voightlander if you want something with a more modern look. 95% the quality results of higher end Leica at a small fraction of the price. The latest Leica lenses are hard to beat but the Canon/Voightlander lenses compete well with older Leica glass.

There are plenty of great, affordable options out there. If you are buying older glass, condition will be as portent as what you buy.
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 03-18-2012 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    If anyone can tell the difference between a image taken on Leica glass vs and image taken on Zeiss glass they are more psychic than observant.
    I ran a Leica M4-P with a 50 Summicron next to a Pentax KX with a 50mm Pentax SMC f/1.7 for a year, and I had to look in my notes to tell which was which.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I ran a Leica M4-P with a 50 Summicron next to a Pentax KX with a 50mm Pentax SMC f/1.7 for a year, and I had to look in my notes to tell which was which.
    +1. I shot at last year's Calgary Stampede with an M6 equipped with either a 28mm Summicron ASPH or 50mm Summilux ASPH lens (HP5 in this body) as well as both an F5 (HP5, again) and an F2AS (E100VS) equipped with either a 24mm F2, 35mm F1.4, 50mm F1.2 or a 80-200 F4 AIS lens. Unable to recall the circumstances of each particular roll, I cannot honestly tell with certainty which camera shot which. But, then again, I like to take pictures with my cameras and not spend my limited leisure time discussing resolution, contrast, etc. That said... I love my Leica system (three bodies and six lenses), but I do think that some of the Leicaphiles out there do get a little carried away with the Leica mystique...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its like you play rickenbacker 4001 bass and fender jazz bass and you cant understand which is which without looking to the headstock.
    or driving a mercedes and toyota.
    Why dont you take two same pictures with these lenses and post here , we will tell you what you need to search for and which quality you might invest at the future.
    Equipment and training is everything at a for example war. If you have airplane but no pilot to fly it , you are a loser at another perspective also like Iraqi army. Buying the latest weapon without trained men , .... etc etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Its like you play rickenbacker 4001 bass and fender jazz bass and you cant understand which is which without looking to the headstock.
    or driving a mercedes and toyota.
    Why dont you take two same pictures with these lenses and post here , we will tell you what you need to search for and which quality you might invest at the future.
    Equipment and training is everything at a for example war. If you have airplane but no pilot to fly it , you are a loser at another perspective also like Iraqi army. Buying the latest weapon without trained men , .... etc etc.
    I don't have time to play games. I'm only interested in improving the art of my photography, and I'm afraid that has nothing to do with lenses. I was just sharing my experience, in an effort in trying to help the original poster.
    You're the one that keeps making claims, so it's your job to come up with the pictures.

I am not the most experienced printer on the planet, but I often get commended for my print quality, and I do have a very critical eye when it comes to printing. And, I can't tell the difference with the naked eye.

Now, go make some damned photographs.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 03-18-2012 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photografity View Post
    Have you considered the other option? Buy a Leica lens, and buying a Zeiss or a Voigtlander Bessa body? Should you upgrade to digital at least you have the "glass".
    Upgrade!? Really!

Actually I can't believe this thread has taken on such a life of it's own. Any tog worth his or her salt can make outstanding images with just about any lens.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin