Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 982

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently saw a print made by a fellow photog using a 75mm summicron. Very nice, but if the photog wasn't competent enough, it's just a shitty portrait made by a very expensive lens.

Truth to be told, I was tempted to buy into the whole leica system. Then, I saw the minnamata images made by W. Eugene smith---made on minolta lenses. I realised that a leica and the humble minolta(which I already have) are too good for me. Also, I can't come to terms with dropping 4 grand on just a body and a 35mm lens.

Buy the best you can afford. I can only afford a minolta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What about a Leica lens on a Fed or Zorki?!!!

Steve.
    Here You go
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0016.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	48084
    Elmar + russian slip on filter on Zorki 1 1952, Summitar on prewar Fed 1939

Name:	Photo-0018.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	48085
    Russian 5,6/20 + its finder made by KMZ Krasnogorsk on Leica I 1930

Name:	Photo-0019.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	48086
    ne varietates timeamus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Leica 1 is a beauty!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica 1 probably could be described with a quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    in that connection, let leicaphiles excuse the temporary absence of the original nickel plated Elmar..
    I toke it away just for the photo, now its back on and the Leica is happy again

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Were the desired focal lengths ever mentioned? Reading through the posts, it sounds like either you said 35 or 50 somewhere, or everyone is assuming thats what you want.

The two Zeiss ZM lenses I've used were great. I'd have no qualms if they fit your needs. I used the 35/2 for about a year before I decided the focal length didn't suit me. Now I have a 21/4.5 and it's one of my favorite lenses. I've heard *great* things about the 50/2, 35/2.8, 25/2.8, 21/2.8, and 18/4. I've heard almost as great things about the rest of the line. The 50/1.5 is the only one that I might mention with caution - not that it doesn't appear to be a fantastic lens, but it has some quirks with focusing and might not be as sharp or even across the frame as you want for a general purpose lens. You should just know what you are getting into with it before you buy it.

The two I used compete just fine in most aspects with the couple of Leica lenses I have. For me, the big determining factors are size, maximum aperture, distortion, and price. Also check out the CV line of lenses - they have some real nice stuff too.

Personally, even though I shoot a Leica and have a couple of there lenses, if I probably wouldn't get into the system now if I had to start from scratch. I got into it about 6-7 years ago, right when the ZM line was released and before the digital Ms were out. Used Leica lenses were much more affordable then. Now they are crazy, and the new prices are even crazier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Wow..if I could only get a dollar for every time these discussions come up, I'd be a millionaire. Cameras and lenses are just tools, and the use of these tools is simply a choice one has to make. What's between the ears is what makes a picture. You want a Leica, get a Leica and ignore everyone here. At the end of the day, you are the one who has to live with the choice, and, as long as you understand that it is not what will make you or break you, you are ahead of the game.
    Wise advice from a photographer with real chops (look at that APUG gallery and be amazed and inspired )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Leica M, summicron 50 and elmar 90: does it make me happy? - Yes. Does it make me better photographer? No, but I knew that before I bought them .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think what is lost in these silly conversations are:

Some people like to own the best...
    Some people are capable of using the best...
    Some people think using the best will make them better some how...
    Some people make great things happen with whatever they have at hand...
    And in the end if you are capable of understanding finer lines of quality the quest of the best is warranted...
    ... and these post's are overcooked... don't start another... use the search function.

(some people like to debate stuff, and some people are vindicated by debating that lower end stuff can trounce high end stuff and vice-versa, it's sport).
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 03-19-2012 at 10:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    ...while I can afford, say, an M4-P, I can't afford the body AND a Leica lens. Would a Zeiss lens be an acceptable substitute for the Leica glass? Or are there other suggestions?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen
    So, let me tell you what is going to happen....typically.
    -You will get a nice Leica and a great little Zeiss lens.
    -Someone will tell you again, or you will read, that Leica glass is sunshine condensed around diamonds and blessed by the spirit of Ernst Leitz himself.
    -The itch will get stronger and before you know it, you'll have found a way to buy a Leica lens.
    -You'll have to sell the Zeiss lens for less than you paid for it, making the cost of this inevitable transaction even more.

Save yourself time and anxiety; get the Leica camera and Leica lens. If you buy used you may actually be able to sell the camera and lens for what you paid for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gee, guys, I didn't mean to stir up such a fuss! I'm reminded of the time I inadvertently stepped in a yellowjackets nest.... True story. Thank you all for your input. I realize that the photographer is the main component in photography. Depending upon what you are trying to do, your equipment may help or hinder you,

But I was wondering out loud, and asking for (and got) other people's opinions. IF I can pull the funds together, I am probably going to get a Zeiss Ikon and the 35mm f/2. That combination is within shouting distance. Also, I have handled both cameras, and I like the Ikon better. But if I had the money, I would buy one of each; the Leica would be used on odd-numbered days of the month, and the Ikon on the even-numbered days. Oh, and I like new nice things, and I can afford a new Ikon and lens better. (I know about the budget statement (~$1100.00) but I would come up with the balance for the camera and lens.)

Anyway, thank you again to everyone who replied, and go out and make some neat photos.

BTW, I ran across this from HC-B: "We seldom take good photographs. You have to milk the cow a lot and gets lots of milk to make a little piece of cheese." Just sayin'.

With best regards, to all.

Stephen

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin