Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,996   Online: 1128

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The comment about newer Zeiss lenses being better than older Leica lenses is true. I've had some older Leica lenses that were not good performers in the way we usually think of those lenses. There are those that say that the introduction of Nikon lenses to the western market made the people at Ernst Leitz sit up and take heed. It was competitive pride that spurred them on.

Then there are those that say part of the ''Leica look'' is created by the fact that the lens is off center to the film gate. If you have a RF Leica, and open the back, or remove the lens if the back doesn't open, you'll see the lens is off center to the frame. Whether this truly makes a noticeable difference is anybody's guess.

But the reason for getting a Leica RF was always the feel of the camera, the great parallax correction, and the mystique of the lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    The comment about newer Zeiss lenses being better than older Leica lenses is true. I've had some older Leica lenses that were not good performers in the way we usually think of those lenses. There are those that say that the introduction of Nikon lenses to the western market made the people at Ernst Leitz sit up and take heed. It was competitive pride that spurred them on.

Then there are those that say part of the ''Leica look'' is created by the fact that the lens is off center to the film gate. If you have a RF Leica, and open the back, or remove the lens if the back doesn't open, you'll see the lens is off center to the frame. Whether this truly makes a noticeable difference is anybody's guess.

But the reason for getting a Leica RF was always the feel of the camera, the great parallax correction, and the mystique of the lenses.
    The Off-Center theory is interesting but this implies that all my lenses will behave differently if I use them on a Bessa, for example...

I've got one S3 and the 3.5cm f2.5 on it is superb. I can't believe how much detail my negatives show. The Nikkors are truly fine lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Making book here, anyone want in on this action? We are at 5 of 7 pages. Even money on making all 7 pages, 2 to 1 on going a full 15 pages, 8 to 1 on 30 pages of discussion.

One must put up an a Leica M Camera Body, (M2 or newer). Think of it you could win 8, count them 8 Leica M bodies if it goes 30 pages of discussion. Why we could give the OP-ster a free body so he could afford a lens.
    House wins on Even Money on 7 pages. Place your bets, place your bets on 2 to 1 odds for a full 15 pages, or go for broke on 8 to 1 action. Mail your M bodies in now. PM me for Bennie the Leg Breaker's address.

On a more enlightened note, I do sometimes use my 50mm f3.5 M mount Elmar that Sherry K. tried to clean as a soft portrait lens. It just would not clean up real well. Gives a "New Leica Kinda Look" for an old lens. Very low contrast and you do have to know where the light source is to dodge flair.

I do hope the original poster finds the tools he is looking for to enhance his photography. I'm blessed to have my father's IIIf and friend's father's M2 and my wife's gift to me an M8.2 (yea I know APUG/DPUG and all that) They all have taught me more about my passion, my art and myself. One can get that from a Canon, Nikon or what ever too.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Ikon and the 35/2 are both fantastic. I think you'll enjoy them quite a bit. Have fun with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=NB23;1318763]The Off-Center theory is interesting but this implies that all my lenses will behave differently if I use them on a Bessa, for example...

Like I say, whether this is truly noticeable is questionable, but, it does imply that the Lieca lenses throw a larger image circle to cover the slightly off center film frame. If this true it may make a difference at the edges of the image, at certain apertures. So, it may make a noticeable difference when using a non Leica lens on a Leica body, rather than the other way around. I admit to pure conjecture here. Like everyone says, where you point it and when you push the button, matter more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post

For what those lenses cost, I'd want more than mystique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    For what those lenses cost, I'd want more than mystique.
    LOl, I don't think it would fit into APUG posting guidelines to say what I would want...

Seriously though, use what you want...but take a look around at what the vast majority of the best PJ / documentary work has been done on in the post war era, it is not Leica. For example, the phenomenal Eugene Richards used Olympus bodies for most of his pre-digital career. He did use a Leicaflex for a piece for Geographic though...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    ...while I can afford, say, an M4-P, I can't afford the body AND a Leica lens. Would a Zeiss lens be an acceptable substitute for the Leica glass? Or are there other suggestions?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen
    Acceptable to whom? Are we all a bunch of high school girls now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ..but take a look around at what the vast majority of the best PJ / documentary work has been done on in the post war era, it is not Leica. For example, the phenomenal Eugene Richards used Olympus bodies for most of his pre-digital career. He did use a Leicaflex for a piece for Geographic though...
    After WWII, Leitz focuses on the aerospace and other more attractive for them areas.
    While most PJ enjoyed SLRs and whatnot, a lenses based on Leitz 50mm Summicron were used in satellites for orientation of gyroscopes, I am giving just a camera related example, You got the idea.
    Simply put, after revolutionizing photography in the 1930s, there was nothing interesting left for them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everyone knows nothing beats Leica -- Capa used Contaxes to shoot the D-Day invasion, and look how out of focus those shots are! /sarcasm
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin