Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,361   Online: 1032

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Most of the best learning is through error. In the book about Edwin Land (Insisting on the Impossible) there is a section which describes how Land didn't like coming up with a solution to a problem immediately. He preferred to go through all the variables which didn't work first. This way you learn much more about the process than if you get it instantly right first time. I think he called it success through failure.

Steve.
    I think I read about that somewhere. Very good advice.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just want to capture images....do I need to compare if a cats' whisker is sharper with this lens compared to the other lens ? Don't you think your equipment has gotten the best of you ? Geez ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Its like you play rickenbacker 4001 bass and fender jazz bass and you cant understand which is which without looking to the headstock.
    or driving a mercedes and toyota.
    Why dont you take two same pictures with these lenses and post here , we will tell you what you need to search for and which quality you might invest at the future.
    Equipment and training is everything at a for example war. If you have airplane but no pilot to fly it , you are a loser at another perspective also like Iraqi army. Buying the latest weapon without trained men , .... etc etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Yup! I want a Leica too!

Every six months or so that Leica bug reinfects me. The best deterrent seems to be holding and shooting my Canons. The Canon III & Canon IIs2 help me to get over the initial anxiety is overcome by these well-built classics. If more treatment is needed I pickup the Canon VI-T, or one of my three Canon P's My Canon 7 while a nice working example, seems to stay shelf-bound in lew of my Bessa R. A variety of lenses help to deal with the damn Leica bug. My lenses , Canon's Minolta, a Ziess, with a fair sampling of Russian glass has helped to keep that Leica Genie in the bottle. That and a quote from another forum that goes something like this: "I found out why my photos are not any good! !! !!! It's not my equipment ! !! !!! Buy a camera that feels good to you and then go have fun.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All thats needed now is for someone to start a bag thread, change the page colours and.......RFF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing about Leica that I've come to appreciate, more than anything else, is just how niiiiice they are to use. That's awfully easy to get addicted to, which I found out when I picked up the Pentax KX again after a year or so of not using it. While a very nice camera (it really is), it just doesn't compare to the silky smooth advance lever, the quiet shutter mechanism, how it feels in my hands, the weight, and how easy it is to compose with the frame lines in the picture area. They're two separate kinds, and I love them both, but the Leica is nicer to use than pretty much any other camera I've ever tried out.
    To me, that is pretty important, because it helps me be confident with the camera, and I do believe that this is an important aspect of removing layers between ourselves and the pictures.
    It deserves to be mentioned that if it wasn't for a kind and generous soul, who gave me a deal on my beautiful M2 with three lenses that I simply could not pass up, I probably wouldn't be photographing with a Leica either. They are hardly inexpensive, especially the really nice specimens, but it could be worth it to truly figure out which one suits your needs best. Just do some research on all of the ones you can afford, list their specs with meters, frame lines, single/double stroke, etc in a spread sheet, and think about what you need. That will give you your answer. Anything else is just opinion.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If your budget is tight, find a good Summicron C 40mm and an Elmar C f/4, originally made in the 1970s for the Leica CL. I had both on a CL and a M4 body until they were stolen. Both lenses are outstanding -- sharp with beautiful bokeh, and they go for good prices. The only problem is that the 40 mm lens will bring up the 50 mm viewfinder frame. I didn't find this a problem on the M4. When I needed accurate framing I used the preselect lever to bring up the 35mm frame.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    No lens can compete with an Leitz glass , if you buy a zeiss lens on to Leica , you will not be a Leica owner. If you cant decide what to do with Leica problem , you are not a Leicaphile and you dont deserve that camera.
    I can think of several examples of lenses which outperform "Leitz" glass. An inexpensive Canon L-mount 50/1.8 lens will easily outperform an Elmar, Summar, or Summitar (I have all of these lenses). The difference between the Canon lens and a Summicron or Summilux (which I also use) will be too small for 99% of people to notice.

I am not a fan boy of any particular brand; the tool should never be considered more important than the image it produces. My selection of "tools" numbers in the triple digits as my mid-life crisis hobby is to collect cameras. My typical Leica M kit is an M3 or M4 body with either a 50mm Summilux, or 50/1.2 Canon LTM lens. A good kit on a budget would be an M2 or M3 with a Canon 50/1.8 or a 50/1.4.

Most times I don't bother with my Leicas, I like to shoot with a Nikon SP, or a Konica Hexar AF. I prefer the Nikkor 50/1.4 to my Summilux, and the Nikon works more smoothly and quietly than a Leica M. The Hexar is faster and quieter than either, and takes wonderful pictures.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    [...] but I do know that the differences between all fine lenses made today are minimal, and i say this as a user of leica glass exclusively (except for the pinhole stuff, of course). [...]
    I am positive that (if they made pinholes) a Zeiss pinhole would be NO match for a true Leica pinhole. And I'm prepared to back this up with about three paragraphs about how the Leica laser used to cut the pinhole has better mode stabilization etc. Just you go and tempt me...
    Photon Counter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kossi008 View Post
    I am positive that (if they made pinholes) a Zeiss pinhole would be NO match for a true Leica pinhole. And I'm prepared to back this up with about three paragraphs about how the Leica laser used to cut the pinhole has better mode stabilization etc. Just you go and tempt me...
    Trolling aside a CV f2.5 at f/5.6 wont be much different from a cron at same aperture, even on a tripod, and you may be more annoyed by veiling flare with a cron, but the crons hold their $ better.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the Leica glass.. All your pictures will suck if you don't.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin