Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,724   Online: 892

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Leica .72 Finder with 50 and 75 Bright Line Frame

My Leica MP is in for a CLA. This may be a good time to remove the 75 bright line. I'm used to it but a lot of people don't like the frame clutter. Would I increase the value/desirability of the MP by removing the 75 frame leaving a clean 50 to shoot with.

My guess is a clean 50 frame appeals to most users. However I don't wish to hurt resale value. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 03-20-2012 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would it increase the desire and value for you? I had it removed in my a la carte M7 and really enjoy it. My only regret is not asking for the 135 frame line to be removed as well.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Never thought about the 135 frame. I would perfer a clean 50. The CLA is $400 and the finder mod an extra $200.00. If the resale value is lowered I would not consider it.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 03-20-2012 at 01:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would buy an MP that had only 35/50/90

The MP seems to be a pretty strong camera for resale right now. I don't see your desired mods to be too much of an issue. It's far more likely that a swing in the Asian economies will have a greater impact on resale values of all MPs. I say go for it and get a camera that you want to use. And then resale becomes less of an issue.

Where are you having the CLA done?
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Leica in New Jersey is doing the CLA. My perception is a majority of M users want a clean 50 frame. I don't think I could recover the modification costs when selling and the CLA was unexpected but will help on resale.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't imagine it will raise the price. Frankly, the 75 frame never bothered me. Especially after I got a 75 Summilux 1.5 years ago. As it turns out though, I got rid of the lens recently and picked up a used a la carte 0.58 M7, with the 75 frame removed. I can't imagine trying to focus the 75 Summilux on a 0.58, not that I have the lens anymore, so it doesn't really bother me that it's gone. At the same time, it does remove the possibility of effectively using that focal length on this camera for me now. Which is ultimately fine, since a 28 will live on it most of the time. My specific thinking was this though: I want 0.58, and I don't plan on shooting 75 on this camera, so I'm indifferent to the 75 frame being there or not.

Long story short: I'd leave it if it doesn't bother you and I'd have it removed if YOU want it gone. Don't worry about sale prices.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    As far as I understand, the 75mm Summicron-M and Summarit-M lenses are pretty popular among M shooters. I would not remove the 75mm frame if resale is an option for you. Personally, I don't even notice the frame when I shoot with a 50mm lens. I concentrate on the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    I would buy an MP that had only 35/50/90
    Well they're out there but a bit on the expensive side - an MP3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Long story short: I'd leave it if it doesn't bother you and I'd have it removed if YOU want it gone. Don't worry about sale prices.
    Good advice. I use two 0.72x mag Leicas with 35/50/90 framelines and enjoy the simple viewfinders but I also use a fully "framelined" 0.85x for longer lenses and I use a 75/2 on that. If I was using one body I'd leave the 75 lines there as they don't bother me if I'm using a 50 on the 0.85x mag body. However you're considering removing them so it's an issue for you. Get the framelines removed so you can enjoy the camera the way you want to.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The first time I looked through the 50/75 frameline it was slightly disorientating. Did not take long to adjust. A clean 50 frame on a MP would be much cheaper than a MP3.

If anyone wants a packaged, like new, chrome MP with a clean 50 and fresh CLA send an e-mail to rdjepsen@att.net. I can still change the workorder.

If you change the MP frames to the M2 35/50/90 the meter LEDs may be positioned relation to the selected frame where you don't like them. Its a matter of taste but on the 0.72X finder the LEDs line up with the bottom of the 35mm frame as if to fill in as a solid line. With the 0.58X finder the LEDs are lower and you have to imagine a straight, bottom frame line.

I like the 35mm frame on the 0.72 finder. Hard to say how the (frame to LED) relationship looks with M2 frames installed. But lots of folks like the simple M2 framelines
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 03-21-2012 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin