Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,008   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My father used to use Koni Omega rangefinders for weddings. His employer was a Leica user and bought the Koni as a medium format version of the Leica.

The lenses aren't as fast as you want though: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Koni-Omega

Steve.
    Koni Omega is much too underrated! Fine camera.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In MF you won't find much if anything faster than f/2,8 and the difference in DOF from f/2,8 to f/3,5 would I say is minor.
    DOF in a MF neg seems, to me at least, to be shallow at those appertures.
    Which focal lenght are you looking for in 35mm RF glass? Mind you that fast teles (75< ) are more difficult to focus than similar SLR lenses, the RF base on the Bessa may be just to short for that task unless you use e.g. a nikon 2X magnifier. If you want to stick with normal lenses maybe a Canon QL 17 GIII would fit the bill and a TLR with a f/2,8 lens could be a MF option.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An 80mm lens at f/3.5 has a 23mm aperture.
    A 50mm lens at f/2, and 35mm at f/1.4 have a 25mm aperture.
    That gives you basically identical depth of field among all three of them.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
    The problem is...I can't seem to find any MF rangefinder that have a lens faster that F3.5.
    Plaubel Makina 67 or 670, with 80/2.8 Nikkor. But one of those in good condition is not cheap.

If you don't mind the square format, you can get a usable Rolleiflex 2.8 for quite a bit less. That will give you the continuous viewing of a RF and a quiet shutter, too. But TLR handling isn't for everyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Koni Omega is much too underrated! Fine camera.
    They aren't particularly quiet in operation though. They do have leaf shutters, but the film advance ratchet is famous for its sound, and the shutter cocking lever snaps back pretty loudly. I think my RB67 makes less noise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    They aren't particularly quiet in operation though. They do have leaf shutters, but the film advance ratchet is famous for its sound, and the shutter cocking lever snaps back pretty loudly. I think my RB67 makes less noise.
    That's true, and could be important at a wedding.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Now if you went with a 4x5 rangefinder, even a 135mm f/4.7 gives reasonably shallow depth of field. Plus the wedding pictures would be fabulous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, a basic grown graphic with a 135mm or similar lens will deliver quite shallow depth of field. A comparable linhof or horseman VH-R would also be something to consider. All depends how much attention you want to draw to yourself. A crown graphic will probably be the talk of the room; not sure you want that.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
    Steve, I'm looking for a very shallow DOF.
    Since the lenses on a MF camera will be longer, then of course the DOF will be shallower than 35mm. There are a number of 6x9 rangefinder cameras. The speediest lens I saw was f/3.5, though.

For a really fast f/stop, the only choice is an expensive surplus aerial surveillance lens. Then you'll also need a shutter, and the lens itself might be larger than the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If looking for a Leica at a bargain, I'd suggest the CL and then add a 50mm lense since it has the framing for it. These are great cameras and both quiet ans unobtrusive. When I got married, the photogrpapher used 1 with the 40 and 90mm lenses for the grab shots. More than half the time we did not even notice he was shooting. With the setups, he used a Bronica ETRS that was standard fare for many wedding photographers for many years. A few years later, I ended up buying the camera and lenses from him so they sit next to the wedding album when not in use and even if it were to break down would not be sold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin