Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,029   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Black Canon's and Leica LTM's

Who paints these and at what price?

The cameras I'm thinking about: Canon P, Leica M, Leica IIIf, Canon IVSB.

I love black cameras but I'm not willing to pay the collector price. I know there are other alternatives (Leica CL, Bessa's, etc.) but I'm just curious into knowing how much a decent paint job would cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems these are mostly repainted in Japan, maybe shoot off a mail to this guy and ask, I'm sure he'd know.

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The painters that I know (I live in Japan) usually charge about $500 properly repaint a camera. This includes stripping the chrome off the covers and hardware, repairing minor dents/dings, applying fresh paint, and performing a CLA. In the case of the Leica M this also includes new vulcanite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    The painters that I know (I live in Japan) usually charge about $500 properly repaint a camera. This includes stripping the chrome off the covers and hardware, repairing minor dents/dings, applying fresh paint, and performing a CLA. In the case of the Leica M this also includes new vulcanite.
    Sounds like a great value, any chance they have a website?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    Sounds like a great value, any chance they have a website?

I have used this guy to paint my M4 and S3. He did an excellent job on both. The old chrome was properly stripped, and the paint was perfectly even, with no flaws. He took pics during the process to show how the job was done, and he adjusted the shutters with the correct machinery. He included a copy of the shutter test results, showing that the shutter was adjusted properly. What's more, turnaround time was less than a week. This is his email: masa-saita@ac.auone-net.jp He speaks English,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    I have used this guy to paint my M4 and S3. He did an excellent job on both. The old chrome was properly stripped, and the paint was perfectly even, with no flaws. He took pics during the process to show how the job was done, and he adjusted the shutters with the correct machinery. He included a copy of the shutter test results, showing that the shutter was adjusted properly. What's more, turnaround time was less than a week. This is his email: masa-saita@ac.auone-net.jp He speaks English,
    Cheers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want black Leica , dont screw yours but buy a 120 dollars black Submariner Leica copy from ebay and use your Elmar on it .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If you want black Leica , dont screw yours but buy a 120 dollars black Submariner Leica copy from ebay and use your Elmar on it .
    I don't see anything wrong with repainting a body in bad condition. The Japanese do a fantastic job, it looks like a factory job, and it's not like there's shortage of Leica bodies around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's a submariner Leica?

Btw what's the best way to strip a bad
    Paint job? I got a canon vt incoming soon, I picked it up for cheap and from the pics it looks ratty.

Actually If its not too terrible in person, I might actually wanna run with the dirty panda ratrod body just for kicks and ultimate theft avoidance lol.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't see anything wrong with repainting a body in bad condition
    In good day , you can buy 3 cosmetically perfect original Leica bodies for 500 dollars in US. And you are not painting your old toyota but a Leica. If you have large stomach to paint a classic to black , I see something wrong with you.

Submariner , Navy , Air Force Leicas are the ones which painted and engraved FED 2s from Ukraine and Russia. They look cosmetically perfect and 120 dollars or cheaper at ebay with 30 day money back guarantee.

Money is yours , you can buy M series body for 500 dollars also or a R4 or Leicaflex body for 100 dollars and a 90 mm Elmar in the good day.

Japanese man is intelligent tourist trap , thats all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin