Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,719   Online: 761

Shooter
    35mm

adjust metering on a canonet ql17

My new canonete ql17 is way off on the metering. Almost two stops. If I set the ISO to 160 it can get good exposures for 400. That's what I normally keep in the camera. It would be nice, though to actually fix the metering. This isn't where I want to spend the big bucks. Any ideas?

PS: of course, it's not new. Just new to me. It's actually about as old as I am and that ain't new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has the camera been converted to take modern batteries?

What battery are you using?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could add a UV filter to it. Many people report that since the sensor is so close to the filter ring, the shade of the filter causes a big change in the reading. The sky could be the reason for your fault too.

Shooter
    35mm
    1.55v silver oxide cradled in the gold adapter with the microchip in. It's supposed to be the best, I'm told.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take it to a camera repairer and have it adjusted.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When Canon built the QL17 cameras, they often made adjustments to the meter by gluing a piece of gelatin neutral-density film behind the meter eye on the lens faceplate. Your camera may have had this bit of film installed, but as it is held in place with water-based glue, it may have fallen off. You can remove the lock ring around the face plate and see if there is a bit of filter film behind it. you can make your own replacement by gluing a piece of an old film negative behind the plastic eye on the lens nameplate. You can try different shades until you get a good reading.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin