Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,528   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like to use both.

Jeff

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Couldn't imagine shooting <24mm and close-in with a rangefinder vs SLRs.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera is a picture taking tool. Depending on what picture you are taking, some tools may be better or easier to use than others. Why limit yourself?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have and like both. RFs and SLRs both have their advantages and disadvantages, and are different ways of seeing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As many others have said, I use both. I will carry my Voigtlander RF with me most of the time - it is small enough to do so without much hassle. For specific projects I am likely to use one of my SLRs - Canon or Olympus OM.

As Fotch said, a camera is a tool. You wouldn't restrict yourself to either a screwdriver or a hammer, would you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Start with an Olympus XA & see if you like it,

You can always get a Leica m, Voigtlander Bessa, or even a Contax G-2, Later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hate rangefinders. I only use them when I have to (Graflex Handheld) And much prefer the feel and function of my SLRS (Nikon F, F6)
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your advice/experience!

I'm no stranger to rangefinders. I tried the XA and hated it. My favorite 35mm cameras right now are my Retina's, but the finders are a little squinty. I've tried a few RF's but none of them have been a real joy to use but I feel that the Leica M's will fix this. I know that cameras are nothing but "lightproof" boxes, but to me, the experience is very different.

I felt that an SLR and RF in this format is a little redundant because they can function similarly for many applications. I know that SLR's are more advantageous for careful composition, macro, and telephoto work, but I have little/no interest in these applications. I do, however, like the idea of affordable bodies and quality glass. I can build a system much more easily. With a RF 1-2 Leica/Zeiss bodies and 1-2 Leica/Zeiss lenses will cost a few grand. But I can build a decent SLR system for much much less.

Money is one thing, but not everything--I don't want to hold on to cameras that I won't use. I have a bunch of cameras that I don't use and that I plan on selling them but I'm not sure how minimal I want to go....however, i think that I'll keep the OM system for a while because letting it go is a little tough. I haven't owned a Leica, so it's possible that I may be dissapointed and warm up to SLR's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like you use the Kodak Retinas for rangefinders (Yashicas too). If you ever get the chance try the Retina IIIS and obtain the Schneider 28mm lens. Very sharp and the camera has an extremely quiet shutter. Condition of the camera, of course, will be an issue but with some patience it is worth obtaining.

I also love slrs and will always hold on to my Pentax equipment, but I do find that I have been using rangefinders more often.

http://www.cameraquest.com/ret3s.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    msbarnes, I don't really see the advantage of switching from Oly OM to Leica M. Weight and size are pretty similar, SLR is easier to use, you already have it, no need to spend extra money.

The situation would be different if you were starting from scratch but it is not the case.

Take care.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin