Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,755   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Coexistence of 35mm SLR's and RF's

For those that have RF's and SLR's, do you use both equally for general off-tripod shooting? I want to get into the Leica M system but I'm wondering if I should still keep my OM system. I'll probably keep both for a while then sell off the OM gear if it sees no use, but I'm wondering if you, users use both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I much prefer a rangefinder, it's possible to hand hold at slower speeds than an SLR with a higher level of sharness. That said I've used both successfully.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    don't sell the OM just yet--unless you're thinking of switching to nikon

after a long while shooting the M and the F in parallel, i sold the M. i'm not too good babysitting gear--you should see that hole my F2 made in the ground last week (and then proceeded to finish the three-hour shoot, as if nothing happened)

(i only say this, because the choice you're facing, or think you are, has little to do with photographic results: a year down the road i have no idea which old picture was taken with which system. it's mostly about all the other factors)
    Last edited by Vilk; 04-11-2012 at 02:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use both.

Apart from those situations where an SLR is greatly advantaged (telephotos, close-ups, exact framing), they are also very different ways of working and seeing.

Given the price of gear now, by all means keep both!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    After years of shooting Pen's and OM's, I branched out into the Olympus RF's and VF's (all of 'em). For several years I made a concerted effort to only shoot the RF's. They were nice. They all have their own character.

But the OM's will always be my first love. The view thru the lens just seems so "real". The OM is easier to use in full manual, which I prefer (For Olympus' RF's, only the SP metered when set to manual). I prefer a wider lens, and take most shots with a 28mm or 35mm. And the sound of the mirror and shutter is just so strong and solid (And I take exception to the lower shutter speed comment for RF's. That might be true for some of those "other" SLRs, but the OM's are too smooth. I actually had more problem with the RF's because of the long release shutter travel needed lock the exposure.)

And the final point, you can't leave the lens cap on an SLR or frame for the wrong lens. Check the post above for the guy who did just that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have lots of rangefinders (Leica, Contax, Nikon, etc.) and SLRs (Contax, Nikon, Minolta, etc), and various fixed lens RFs. I started out many, many years ago with a Nikkorex (!) and stuck with SLRs for a long time (mainly because my Nikon S3 was stolen in eastern Zaire). I liked the full view, the use of telephotos, the accurate framing. But over time, as I aged and my eyesight changed, it became significantly easier to focus with a good rangefinder patch. And despite my continuing love and use of Nikon F and Nikkormats, I seem to find the use of a rangefinder to somehow be more pleasing. I will switch back and forth, for how can I resist using my F? But it's very much a personal choice you'll have to make. And despite all the NOOKY NESUMs and such for closeup work with RFs, you'll always want an SLR on hand for that sort of work. Try both!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have a wide range of cameras but I mainly use SLRs as I find them much more versatile. You can use a SLR instead of a rangefinder in any situation. The opposite is not true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like to recommend SLR's to students who are starting out, besides the things mentioned already, a large and relatively bright (50mm f1.8 standard lens) viewing area is the norm, where as with range finders the larger and crisper windows and patches are usually only in the exceptional models.

I use both SLR and RF, but find that I am faster with a SLR and a good focusing screen. I really like my OM system as well, I just wish lenses were a bit less expensive. I have been keeping a look out for a nice 6x9 RF at a good price, as I have been liking my 6x6 RF, it will probably be my next purchase if I get lucky.

X. Phot.
    I like the rangefinder camera for general snapshots, ie; shooting from the hip as it were. Whereas the SLR seems to be well suited for telephoto and close-up photography. I've never tried using a bellows unit on a rangefinder camera. Nor have I tried using lenses such as 200mm - 600mm on a rangefinder camera. Both those scenarios sound like they would be a bit cumbersome.
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 04-11-2012 at 11:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use both. Rangefinder for street, casual, and quiet shooting. SLR for fast, accurate, flash, portrait and telephoto. They are tools, I like having both. I could use flash on my rangefinders too, but I'm lazy and use the TTL on my nikons (F4 and FM3A). Neither of my rangefinders (Oly 35RD and Mamiya 6MF) do TTL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin