Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,910   Online: 1157

Shooter
    35mm

Canonet QL17 using flash in guide number mode

Just got me a QL17 and I found something not mentioned in the manual is that ambient light level affect the aperture setting when using in GN flash mode. When I set a high shutter speed then basically the aperture only varies with focus distance and that's what I expected. What I didn't expect is that when using a slow shutter speed ambient light does make the aperture stop down a bit. Because of this it would be interesting to use the camera for daylight fill flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I wish I could help you but I do not use the QL17 GN feature because it is not as good as the Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 GN lens or the guide number feature of the Minolta Hi-Matic 9. The two main things I do not like are:

1. The QL17 has only 3 guide number settings (metric 14, 20, and 28).

2. The QL17 guide number feature does not function unless the camera is loaded with functioning batteries.

Please let me know if you find an answer to your question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not be suprised if it did that. Unfortunately, especially if you are using the Canonlite D, I use mine with out a battery & with a non-Canon flash so it is not going to do that.

For what it is worth, I have found that mine meters close enough for negative film with an alkaline battery in it, but not for slide film. I tried air cells at one time. Wound up using one air cell per roll of film, because I do not use the camera that much any more, and then lost the adapter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin