Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,396   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black to chrome

Shooter
    Medium Format

Black to chrome

Hi all
    i've seen in other posts people asking if a chrome body can be refinished to black paint, my question is can a black chrome m6ttl be turned to chrome? If so where?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My thoughts exactly!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crap,
    I had to look.
    DUH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In all seriousness, if you wanted to convert black chrome to chrome, you would have to remove the covers and send them to a plating shop to be stripped and replated. Bead blasting before plating would produce the typical satin chrome finish.

By far the easiest way to convert a black chrome Leica to a chrome one is to trade your black one for a chrome one, or sell yours and buy a chrome one.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-07-2012 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
    Hi all
    i've seen in other posts people asking if a chrome body can be refinished to black paint, my question is can a black chrome m6ttl be turned to chrome? If so where?
    Why???????????

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helps the GDP, just think if all the black Leica owners went out and converted them. Paint sales would be up 5%

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As to why, the black look is getting scruffy around the winder and edges and it doesn't get loads of use, plus love the retro look of the chrome.
    use to have an m2 and it just looked so right, it had been recovered fairly well but the idea of a chrome with tan lizard skin was very appealing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So your camera doesn't look spanking brand new, so what. Consider it's look a badge of honor.
    BTW, professional photographers used to paint their cameras black because the shine on the chrome announced their presence.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin