Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,787   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    I would sell the one that generates the most money.
    You know, this is a really good point. When raising money I've always considered selling possessions to be higher on my 'desperation scale' than either earning more or withdrawing savings. I believe, with the construction trend firmly placed in plastic, any metal lens from the era of film photography can only appreciate in value (over some time scale). Plus 'They don't eat any bread and butter' Nona always said.

I've regretted selling every lens I've ever sold, but narsuitius is right. If you need the money and this is the only way left to you sell the one that makes the most cash and move on. You can buy another when times are better. If the price has gone up consider it interest on the prior loan. Other wise, if you have any wiggle room at all, I'd keep that summicron, for sure.

Good luck,

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Never sell a Leica , they are going more and more expensive and when you need it , you could not be able to finance it again. And your photographs will never be the same with another brand.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Voigtlander in my opinion is too close in focal length to the 35mm. I have the 35mm Summaron so I would keep the Summicron.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've a preference for the 40mm angle of view.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like it too but in this case I'd sell the CV. The older Summicrons are plenty sharp and render beautifully. The CV has very little character in comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would sell the CV and keep the Summicron based on intrinsic market value, but you may find that it won't fetch much anyway so is it worth selling?

On the other hand the 40mm CV has a character, both in physical size and rendering, very similar to the Canadian made 35mm Summilux, soft and glowing wide open, sharpening up and becoming a lot more conventional stopped down. OK it may not have the fine bokeh of the Summilux, but it isn't far off. The other thing about the 40mm focal length is that it fits most of the Leica 35mm framelines more tightly, slightly inside the frame or dead on the frameline instead of slightly outside (at average medium to distant focusing distances). Some people find this easier to visualise and deal with when quickly composing the image than imagining how much lies beyond the frame.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin