Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,312   Online: 926

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Recommended 35mm Film For Rangefinders

Further to the excellent assistance on my first thread about which cheap Rangefinder to buy, and a wonderful birthday present from Greg (really appreciated), I now need some advice on which film to buy. Since posting I've gone a bit mad on ebay and purchased a few cameras with the idea of trying them all out and then selling them at the end of my visit to the UK. This will be for street stuff, mainly without flash, in the summer months. The cameras I need film for are:

1. Greg's very kind donation, an Olympus RC, which I will be keeping as my main rangefinder. Thank you, Greg!
    2. Canonet GIII QL17
    3. Konica Auto S2
    4. Petri 7s II
    5. Konica C35
    6. Olympus Stylus Epic (Mji II) - not a rangefinder but P&S.

Are any of these good for B&W? Any recommendations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji Acros (100) and neopan(400) are quite nice and might be cheaper than some others as well. You'll likely get tons of advice, but check out Flickr.com and search for film or film and body combinations to see what you like.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I currently shoot several different emulsions - color (Ektachrome E100G) and black and white (PanF Plus, FP4Plus, HP5 Plus and Tri-X) - with my Leicas, I generally rely on Tri-X or HP5 Plus for most of my candid street shooting. Both Tri-X/HP5 are sharp, forgiving, have moderate grain and can be "pushed" if need be. The nominal ISO 400 rating allows you the advantage of higher shutter speeds (read: hand-holdable, with a rangefinder) for a good portion of the day (i.e. allows you to shoot sans flash!). I generally rate these two at EI 200 for most of my work, pushing to EI 1600 if I happen to be shooting into early evening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All will be fine, except the Stylus Epic will be tricker as you can screw on filters.

Get a few rolls each of Tri-X and HP5, and Tmax 100. (if you have the dough a few rolls of p3200) Have some fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For rangefinders I like to use iso 400 films, even in daylight. Often with rangefinders I compose and shoot quick and then with f8-f16 I compensate not precise focusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford XP2 and Kodak BW400CN are great. Basically you've got a very fine grain ISO 400 film, which can handle being shot at ISO 800 too. Processes as normal C41, so you can just take it down the local lab/drug store etc.

They are very similar films, smooth gradations, and give very nice results in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trickier as you can't screw on filters*

I need to proof read.
    Doh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you going to buy the film in the UK or bring it with you?

In Lincoln I can buy Ilford B&W film and Fuji colour film only. I mostly buy my films through the Interweb but if you are on holiday, that might not be practicable.

Also, what are you going to be using the film for? I am currently using Harman 100 film for my street photography. I find ASA 400 film a little too fast giving me too great a depth of field - British streets can be quite reflective of light in the summer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One consideration if you will be scanning the film is that Ilford films dry a lot flatter than many others and make scanning much easier. I would choose HP5 as an ideal film for 'street' photography.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you plan on taking just one camera I agree with high speed film like Tmax 400, TriX or HP5. If you plan on taking 2 cameras I would take a slow speed film like Tmax 100 or Forma 100 as well has high speed film. In addtion for possible night shooting a few rolls of Tmax or Delta 3200 rated at 1600 or 800.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin