Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,357   Online: 1145

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your responses. I asked the same question in the medium format forum so it's great to get some opinions on rangefinders too. I explained to the medium format crew that this might go towards a light-hearted blog post I'm writing but ultimately it's just a bit of fun and a way of learning about gear I've never heard of before. I'm certainly not asking for opinions on which I will be basing a purchase decision; I've already bought my rangefinders thanks to my previous couple of threads on APUG, and they were purchased based on their performance/price ratio, not their coolness. Though the fact they are rangefinders makes them cooler than most cameras anyway, no?

Gotta thank you all for your time and suggestions, cheers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Cool is an interesting description. How about this, as I believe it has the greatest rangefinder separation of any 35mm camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7215832@N07/7243244766
    Well....... the contax iia has a slightly shorter rangefinder base than the pre-war progenitor Contax ii/iii

The Zeiss ikon Contessa has cool factor plus a 2.8 Tessar every bit as good as the Rollei 35s and it is a folding rangefinder with a meter.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    Having now spent the last couple of weeks looking into (cheap) rangefinders I have an idea of what a good one is and what the not so good are. Now I'm interested to know what you think is the 'coolest' rangefinder. Can be cheap or expensive, I'm looking to do a little blog post on 'cool' cameras after discovering the Carl Zeiss Jena Werra 1. I've no idea if it performs well but I thought it was a bit of a design icon.

What's the coolest rangefinder camera?
    leica M3 and the Olympus XA.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Coolest rangefinder I've never owned: 70mm Combat Graphic-- http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Gra...at-Camera.html

Personal preference: Linhof Technika (I have a 4x5" and a 2x3")
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contax II, Nikon S and Leica III series are my personal favorites (though I only own a Leica III series)
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I explained to the medium format crew that this might go towards a light-hearted blog post I'm writing but …
    I've asked this question on other forums today and generally the question has gone down well. However a few have refused to play the game, instead replying 'why should it matter whether it's cool or not', or 'what a shallow question to ask'. I was even accused of behaving like a 12 year old girl for asking the question on one flickr forum.

I did not find your question light-hearted or shallow. I would ask the very same question if I were looking for an interesting prop to include in a glamour shot or motion picture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe not the coolest looking but the coolest to use, the Bronica RF645.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it makes anyone feel better, maybe ask about the joy one gets from the aesthetic styling of a camera - the importance of design and the happiness one gets from the tools of the trade, so to speak...instead of saying "cool".

It's not a big deal to think about it, really. I love the Nikon S2 or S3, especially with an external viewfinder on top. Also the customization available with Leicas can make for some pretty interesting looking machines. I haven't used my Crown as a rangefinder but it's interesting that it is one...and I sure do wish I could have a Mamiya 6 -- not only a neat looking camera but a handy square format shooter...wow, the mind reels.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Plaubel Makina
    You said it, brother. What a sweet camera!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    If it makes anyone feel better, maybe ask about the joy one gets from the aesthetic styling of a camera - the importance of design and the happiness one gets from the tools of the trade, so to speak...instead of saying "cool".
    Then you must be talking about a Reid & Sigrist.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin