Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,040   Online: 855

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Contax G2. Best 35mm optics for the money; the Leica f1.4 ASPH lenses may be better, but not enough to justify the price. I'll give up the stop of speed to save myself $2-4K per lens. $4K buys a LOT of 400 speed film . Plus it does just look sexy in its titanium finish with the control wheels on top and the manual focus knob on the front.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless I missed it, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Nikon SP. Great looking thing. Shame I'll never be able to justify dropping that much on a camera...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Wow - what a dorky thread.

A camera can only be cool if it matches you shoes and belt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, since this thread is not limited to format size as was the medium format version, I will add what I consider the coolest camera of all: The 4x5 Linhof Super Technika IV or V with the Zeiss Optima lens set (75mm Biogon, 135mm Planar, & 250mm Tele-Sonnar). They used to advertise it as stopping at nothing photographic short of cinematography. The range of accessories was truly mind boggling.

It is interesting that none of the cameras I have listed, here, or in the other thread (3RF & 1VF), are SLR's. SLR's just have too much shutter lag for me to be truly happy with them.

There are, of course a lot of really cool RF cameras. Some cool for their precision (Leica M2, M3), some for their differences (Robot Royal), some for their compactness (Retina IIa), and some for their junkiness (Kodak 35RF) (examples). The Argus C3 was an Art Deco masterpiece, and may be a winner on that basis.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post

http://www.independent.co.uk/migrati...rodchenko.jpeg

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ditto on the Koni-Omega. Wonderful beast that is. I am also in love with the Kiev 4m with the Helios 50mm lens. That camera punches way above its weight class, and there are a ton available for cheap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For me, a camera isn't cool unless it's one I'd be happy to use on vacation for 10, 12 hours a day. So right now it's the Ricoh 500G – tiny, great lens, bearable VF and flash sync at all speeds. The last one really makes it a great street shooter at night with a small flash.

For build quality and lasting design (no foam seals to scrape) however, I'd choose the Kiev 4AM with either a 50 1.8 (Helios 103?) or J12 with the Yashica 35/50 VF.

MF, I have yet to decide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica M2, hands down. Not only cool, but a masterpiece.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post

well said! that's why I am proud of my "new" Yashica Lynx 14E- a bit bulky and heavy, but with some amazing lens (not leica glass though), rich in microcontrast....and it's cheap too (actually I got this one for free)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    COOLEST? For my tastes it's a Canon P.The Canon III is nice, my Canon IV is also a nice carry. I do have a 7and a Canon VI-T, but it's the P that I usually have with me. Cool. .. ... and built like a tank, built to last and looks great too! Did I tell you, it takes good pictures also.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin