Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,067   Online: 964

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan View Post
    As Jason says, the Electros aren't small. I used to have one and couldn't get on with the size/weight or ergonomics. A compact SLR - Pentax ME/MX, or Olympys OM, for example - is smaller. Lots of people swear by them, though. A lot of the more compact 70s rangefinders are shutter priority or program mode only, unfortunately.

Have you seen: http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm
    Yes this is the main problem I had. Other rangefinders may be smaller, however they do not have aperture priority. The Yashica does pretty much meet all my needs, and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit more bulk for that. Currently I have a 5D and a FM2, so hopefully it won't be as bulky and heavy as those!

And yes, I did take a look at cameraquest. It is really fantastic!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was just looking through some of my shots taken with the GSN and, I have to say, between the leaf shutter and the heft of it, I find it much easier to hand hold at slower shutter speeds than I do my Canon SLR. The GSN weighs around 750 grammes, if that's of any help in making your decision.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsesame View Post
    Yes this is the main problem I had. Other rangefinders may be smaller, however they do not have aperture priority. The Yashica does pretty much meet all my needs, and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit more bulk for that. Currently I have a 5D and a FM2, so hopefully it won't be as bulky and heavy as those!

And yes, I did take a look at cameraquest. It is really fantastic!
    Bigger than an FM2 with a compact 50 I'd have thought. They really aren't at all small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recommend the Olympus XA. It only goes up to ASA 800, but it's an RF, has a 35mm lens, is aperture-priority and is VERY small. It's also quiet (except for the film advance) and has a phenomenal lens - there was a thread here recently about how good this little camera is.
    Last edited by IloveTLRs; 05-23-2012 at 06:38 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: ugh, learn to spell
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think the Yashica Electro 35GSN is that small compared to the FM2 plus 50/1.8 pair, either. The last version of the Electro35 series, the model GX is much smaller than the FM2, though. But people say it's rather rare in some countries. The GX is about the same size as the CC, its iso can go up to 800, and it's got 1/500s of fastest shutter speed. There's only one model among the Electro35 series which iso setting can go up to 1600, that is the Electro 35GL, but as it was a Japanese domestic model when released, it's even rarer than the GX.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm waiting for my Yashica Electro GSN in the mail any day now. I did a bunch of research and had similar needs for a rangefinder. The GSN really fits the bill. As for the mercury battery replacement, there is a good video on youtube - just search Yashica GSN battery replacement. I, too have heard they are 'big' for a rangefinder but so it goes. I'm not willing to pay for a Leica or Zeiss Ikon (yet!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm sure you won't regret it... I really like mine!

Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin